Author Topic: Traffic noise behind the home  (Read 51470 times)

Kathy Eby

Traffic noise behind the home
« on: April 19, 2003, 04:01:44 AM »
We have a 4 lane street behind our home and the noise has gotten progressively worse due to SUV's.  We have a six foot rock wall and we would like to know the benefits of putting 3-4 feet of plexiglass on top of the wall and if beneficial, where can it be purchased in south Orange County.  Thanks, Kathy

Rudy

Re: Traffic noise behind the home
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 04:55:06 PM »
I am thinking about doing the same think. where about in south orange county? it wouldnt be imperial hwy would it? I think plexi glass will work for the most part but you will still have noise entering from the other 2 sides where neighbors are. there is also the consdeiration of maint on the glass. large bushes put up in front of the wall/plexi glass would help.

Boborther

Re: Traffic noise behind the home (Kathy and Rudy)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 05:43:03 PM »
Kathy and Rudy,

As you can see from my other postings, for an outdoor fence to be effective, it needs to be at least 8 feet above the noise source (10 feet would even be better). The plexiglass would help as it would make the sound wave travel higher to get to you. When you make a sound wave work, it deteriorates rapidly.
The block wall fence is a good thing as long as it is not a cinder block fence. Cinder block is very pourous, and can pass sound. (masonry for the most part is a good soundproofer). Check the fence and make sure there are no holes or gaps in the mortar or the blocks themselves. If there are gaps or holes, plug them up with caulk or concrete. This will help to keep sound leakage at a minimum.

Please send us a follow up on this project, especially if you use the plexiglass and it gets the results you are looking for. You'd be surprised at the number of folks who read this forum, and there is no better reading than a good success story. Thanks Kathy and Rudy for your posts.

Skip
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: Skip@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

nathan cocozza

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 05:11:38 AM »
I have a home in Arizona, which has a 6 foot block wall behind it and a 3 lane street behind the wall. The noise is terrible and a friend had told me about some type of device, which could block sound. I think it does this by playing the same sound back and essentially cancelling out the street noise. Does anyone know what devide this is or where I can get one?
In addition, are there any other ways to block this type of sound.
Please reply to me at my email address Ncocozza@viack.com.

Thanks

Nathan

Boborther

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 05:57:04 PM »
Nathan,

You are basically describing a noise cancelling device. From what I have discovered, these devices were pioneered in Australia and New Zealand. I think if you go to your search engine, and type in "noise cancelling" you should be able to get more in depth information on these devices.
There is also a company in Carlsbad, California called "Quiet Flight-LLC" that is  researching these devices for aircraft and airport noise control. You also may want to check into that company.
As it stands these devices appear to be very costly and would most likely be prohibative  for us common folk.
If there is anyone out there who can shed more light on this subject,  I would definitely welcome your input.
Nathan, I hope this has helped you, or at least given you a direction in which to find more  information on these devices. As time permits, I too will do my research. Thanks again for you post.

Sincerely,

Super Soundproofing Sales /Technical Associate
www.soundproofing.org
Skip@soundproofing.org
Phone (760) 752-3030
Orders only!: (888) 942-7723

Bob Sep

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 08:39:03 PM »
Greetings:

I  live above the I-5 Fwy and am expericing a tremendous problem with the fwy. noise:(

I have installed plexi-glass on half the house, insulation within the rooms ,shubbery and so forth. Yet, I still have a noise problem :'(

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the reduction of the noise, aside from moving. The area is a nice area in Silverlake, so I would hate to relocate.

Boborther

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 11:33:50 PM »
Bob,

I will need a little more detail about your situation in order to give you timely and accurate advice. For example, I am not sure where you installed this plexiglass on (or around) your home. Also, had I known, I would have told you to forego the fiberglass insulation (unless of course, you need it for the thermal value).
Bob, I think it would be wise for you to invest the "proverbial" dime and give me or Joel a call, Tell Joelf if he answers that you were referred from the Q&A forum.

Skip  

don

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 11:53:28 PM »
Hi Bob

I bought a home on a little hill above a road........15-20 feet above road...the noise just echos up toward my home........I was not knowing that it would become a major thoughfare for the town........cars come off downhill and then gas it below my home.........all day and nite........ive installed double pane windows.......the house is built with hollow tile...(brick)....the question/concern I have is........to build a fence down below .....near road....8-ft tall........with wood fence materal overlapping (no gaps)

.........would this help to shiel/keep noise down below........

Thanks for your time....

Don

I can also send you pics............???

peter

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 02:44:37 AM »
FYI, active noise cancellation devices are not yet advanced enough to deal with the varying location, pitch, and level of passing traffic.  I did some of research recently on this myself and talked to a few people who work on these products.

Richard Balling

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 12:16:38 AM »
We live 10 feet or so from Imperial Hwy a large main street in our area. Between us and the Hwy is a 6 foot slump stone wall. The traffic noise is very bad. The Home Owners Assoc. has been talking about doing something for quite some time. I don't think they know what to do.What is the best thing that might help. Adding several more feet of slump stone, plexiglass or???Some solutions in the area are very unsightly.

Thank You

Lori Call

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 11:53:46 PM »
I have been reading some of the emails about traffic noise reduction.  we, too have a highway behind our home, buffered by an 8' concrete wall.  my husband has heard of noise canceling devices.  are these available yet and how much do they cost?  Also, how much difference can tall trees make?  Are there any other ways to buffer this noise?  None of the emails seemed to have a solid answer.....or I just missed it  :)

thanks

Lori Call

No, trees won't help.  See above messages

Skip  

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 10:40:57 PM »
Noise cancelling only works with steady sound of a particular frequecy and traffic noise is not like that

BJ
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

Michael Villarreal

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 04:27:19 PM »
I am currently living in Indonesia.  Our house is on a sizeable piece of land.  The house is about 15 meters from a main street.  Its not a freeway but it gets alot of traffic.  We have a cement/brick wall roughly 2.5 meters high.  Just inside the wall there is a layer of bamboo trees which are very tall.  I would like to try to reduce the noise from traffic both inside the house and outside in the back yard.  Our master bedroom is on the second floor and we have a large window and balcony directly faceing the street.  We are using wooden blinds instead of curtains.  I would like to install an additional glass pane on the windows in the bedroom.  Im not sure which is the best method.  Plastic, glass, plexiglass, etc???  I am also considering adding more bamboo treed and perhaps some plexiglass on top of the wall.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 11:05:07 PM »
Everything you mentioned will help, except the trees!

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

pave-low

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 02:51:51 PM »
Newbie on the prowl-
I have a new interest in sound abatement and stumbled on this thread.  Couple of feedback items (no pun intended)

There is active noise cancelling for outdoor environments (and based on changing freqs.)
http://www.innovatieprogrammageluid.nl/projecten/wegverkeer/antigeluid/fase%202%20eindrapport.pdf

But after reading this paper I have decided to not follow in their wave-prints. It looks very very complicated and with only a 5db cut.  I also know that someone (can’t remember who) was working on active noise cancellation for a car (instead of using a mechanical muffler).  It worked great but the environment is different.  The distances from source is small and doesn’t change etc. Just cool thoughts I guess.

I have a new noise problem.  We lost all of our trees to hurricane Wilma.  Huge difference now with a 200’ gap (tree-less now) to a 6 lane street.  I am on the verge of executing the Harley geeks that blast down the street at 1:00 a.m.  But most of our problem is when you are outside.  Inside a solid concrete house we don’t have much knowledge of the streets existence.

I have learned:
      Vegetation has a huge sound dampening ability!
      The impact glass in my office at work cuts 100% of the sound from the very busy street 60’ from my back.

But I do have an alternative “active” sound system in mind.  After ruling out the electronic active wave cancelling I am leaning toward a large waterfall in the corner of my lot.  From my un-educated observations this could eliminate all but the really hi db sources from my back yard.  

Have any of you tried this?
Do you think “impact glass” might be the answer for the some of you?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

:)