Author Topic: Traffic noise behind the home  (Read 54979 times)

homeowner

Re: Traffic noise behind the home
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2008, 06:29:49 AM »
I have been skimming the posts and have noticed the reference to a 'sound bubble'.  This leads me to wonder if sound *absorbing* rather than blocking might be a good idea.  Does anyone know anything about these absorbing panels? 
http://www.acousticsciences.com/soundfence/sound-fence.htm

Thanks!

wav3form

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2008, 05:33:51 AM »
My traffic is in front of my home and because I'm set on a hill, I'd have to build a 20' tall fence (which isn't allowed). My house is 20' away from a busy street on a hill (think low gear) in a canyon (echo!). The noise isn't constant, just enough to discern the difference from very loud and quiet. I find it unusual that I can hear every passing car, person, dog, or leaf from inside my home. I recently got new windows with a STC rating of 32. They did nothing, zip, nada to reduce the noise. It was at the moment I decided to sell, then the housing market crashed (so, I have to stay for a while). So, I'm backing to finding a solution. I have a stucco house, raised foundation, wood floors, plaster & lath walls (built in 1951). My noise problem is 100% automobile, with a great majority the "boom boom" cars with really low base shaking the pictures off the walls every few minutes. I can hear them from half a mile in either direction of my house and that doesn't seem right. I even have to turn up the TV to compete from them. Other peoples' homes don't seem as noisy as mine.
I'd swear noise was coming through the walls, ceiling, and floor, but can't tell. I'm very skeptical about ripping any walls down and rebuilding them with special drywall, but I'm willing to entertain any ideas. I have a budget of about 1k, perhaps to just address the three bedrooms. Is that even reasonable?
Thanks,
Scott

I'm sort of in the same problem.  I lived in my home for 2 years now and it's near a busy road.  It wasn't busy before but after the walmart went up and other crap it is now a very busy street as it leads straight to these stores.  My wife just had to have the house but now I put my foot down.  I was going to sound proof as best as I could but that money is now better used towards realtor fees and other costs involved in selling the place.  Get out and find a place that's quiet.  That's the only way you will be happy.

joel

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
Try using 1/2" or thicker acrylic - one inch thick is what is being used along train routes in the eastern and midwest states.  Works well