Author Topic: traffic noise at home/windows  (Read 8837 times)

Lyn Morrison

traffic noise at home/windows
« on: April 22, 2003, 05:49:51 PM »
I am live at a very busy intersection with a 4 -way stop sign.  There is a lot of traffic noise.  I am in the process of having second windows (soundproof windows.com) installed.  A 8x2 window and sliding glass door were replaced in my bedroom, but I don't hear much noise reduction.  A master bathroom window still needs to be installed.  I am not sure what the next step is.  A noise consultation per your website (in the Bay Area) or replacing the outside windows as well? Very frustrated.  

Boborther

Re: traffic noise at home/windows
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 07:38:33 PM »
Lyn,

Usually  windows are the weak link  when it comes to unwanted sounds entering the home. I think the window inserts will help a lot, but there are also other areas to check for sound leakage in your house. Use your ears, they are much better and more accurate than any sound meter out there. When the traffic noise is the loudest, let your ears lead you to where the sounds are coming in. They will usually find the leak source, and we can treat the problem from there.
 There is a company in California, I believe, that is specializing in soundproofed sliding glass doors. If they are successful, that have a wide open market, that's for sure. Soundproofing a sliding glass door is a challenge at best. I do not have the actual name of this company, but you might want to do a search on Yahoo, or Google for "Soundproof sliding glass doors. Sorry I couldn't be of more help Lyn. If you discover that the walls are a problem, then please give us a call. Thanks for the post Lyn.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Lyn Morrison

Re: 2nd question re traffic noise at home/windows
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 08:12:18 PM »
Soundproofwindows.com does make a second sliding glass door which I had installed over my existing one.  However, I am not sure how well it is working.  I was told the walls are faily soundproofed by the window installer.  My remaining question is if I keep the second soundproof windows just installed AND then replacedthe original windows with double pained or something, would that help or be a waste of money? I guess I could get those really thick airport windows.  Thanks in advance.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 09:05:18 PM »
Lyn,

I am wondering how the window guy knew that your walls were soundproofed. Well, maybe he is different than most contractors and has done his soundproofing homework. I am surprised that the soundproofing sliding glass door was only marginally effective.
Lyn, if you do replace your existing windows with soundproof windows, make sure the windows have an STC rating of at least 40 to 44 STC (Sound Transmission Class). I have heard that Pella is making a very good soundproof window. You might want to check into Pella and see what kind an STC rating their windows have.
Whenever you are dealing with soundproof anything, always ask about the STC rating. The higher that rating is, the better that product will soundproof. Also ask about guarantees. If a company will give you a guarantee (in writing), it is probably a good bet that they are reputable. Thanks for your follow up Lyn.

Bob Orther

Bill

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 07:14:17 AM »
I likewise installed soundproofwindows.com in one bedroom, and find the difference more subtle than dramatic.  any better results with sound-guard, drapes, or magnet-seal?   :(

Boborther

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 10:43:48 PM »
Bill and Lyn,

I have heard some good things about Sound Guard, and Mil Gard for that matter. My customers have complained about the pricing on these windows and window inserts, but they have told me that they do work well.
Also the Magnet Seal window insert is a good product. This is a clear window grade plexiglass insert that has a magnetic border around it and it clips into a magnetic track that is installed into the frame of the window.
If you need more info on the Magnet Seal system, please give me a call at one of the numbers below.
I hope this information has been helpful. Thanks for your postings.
P.S. Look for a window with at least a 40 STC (Sound Transmission Coefficient).

Bob Orther

Aaron F

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 10:26:05 PM »
I replaced two 3' x 5' double paned aluminum framed windows with Milgard STC 44 triple paned models.  The difference is incredible.  The freeway noise we hear now is minor truck "Jake" brake noise.  The little noise we have now is resonating through the thin sheathing and cheap wall board of our modular house.
The cost is impressive as well, $800 each, but exceptional quality.  Shop around, I received quotes from $800 to $1250 for identical window(s).
Milgard was the only manufacturer I found that gave exceptional and detailed performance information.   Remember, you get what you pay for!
Fighting noise is an incremental battle, unless you have brick exterior walls, the windows are only a good start, but not an end.
I'm planning a wall with 5/8" rock, hat track with clips, and leaded sheet next.  Good Luck!

Boborther

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 08:54:02 PM »
Aaron,

Thanks for the info on the Mil Gard windows, I knew they were good, but it is nice to hear it first hand. Thanks again

Bob Orther
For orders only (888) 942-772