Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Plexiglass over window?  (Read 41557 times)

Pat Smolarek

Plexiglass over window?
« on: April 22, 2003, 07:17:49 PM »

We are considering installing a piece of plexiglass on the inside window frame of an existing thermal pane window to soundproof from outside noise.  Will this work?

Boborther

Re: Plexiglass over window?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 06:05:33 PM »

Pat,

If you seal the edges of the plexiglass insert, you should have pretty good results. Try to find window grade plexiglass if at all possible, as it will not fade in from sunlight and emulates real glass more closely.

The plexi insert is much like the technology used in our Magnet Seal windows. Read about these on the website at http://soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm. I hope this answers your question.

Skip

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 752-3030

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: sales@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

Gigi Alphonso

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 07:32:57 PM »

Hi All,

I live in a highrise condo, so replacing my windows is obviously out of the question.  They were installed in the 1960's and are quite large, with aluminum frames.  So I have a few questions:

Which part of the window is the real problem with transmitting sound: The glass or the frame?  

Is there such a thing as a thin coating that can be applied directly to the glass to dampen sound?  

I believe that the depth of my window frames would allow me to install window-grade plexi, but I'm concerned that it would somehow make my view less crisp, or change the quality of the light.  Also, that wouldn't keep the sound from coming through the frames.

We have a very busy train track that runs past our building, and while I'm resigned to the idea that I'll never be able to completely block out the deep bass rumbling of the train, I would like to find a way to lessen the higher pitch tones of the train whistles, which drown out all conversation about 5 times a day.

What I think would be best for my situation and my needs is to install heavy drapes to block out the nighttime ambient light as well as the sounds.  Are there special fabrics available to somebody like me to use in creating drapes, and would this work?

Thanks in advance,
Gigi

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 10:59:52 PM »

Hi Gigi,

You might want to consider a window plug made with the 2" closed cell foam mat. This will block out the light at night as well as during the day, but you can easily remove the plug from the windows to let in fresh air and such.

The other option would be a Magnet Seal window insert. Then you would be assured getting window grade plexiglass, and you would have a professional window system  that will last for many years and give you some great soundproofing.  
http://soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm

It will be impossible to completely eliminate the train noises, but you can get them down to tolerable levels.

Glass is usually the culprit when it comes to allowing sounds to pass. Glass, in essence, is virtually transparent to sound.

I have heard about a coating that can be applied to windows to help to soundproof them, but I would have no idea of where to find such a product.

The plexiglass could distort the crispness of the view from your window, but there are always compromises when it comes to soundproofing. The Magnet Seal windows are a very good looking window insert and will not distort the view as much as other plexiglass products will, plus they will not fade with sunlight as regular plexiglass can.

Gigi, the acoustical drapes are not a bad idea, but remember the intensity of the noises you are trying to block. The curtains will muffle some of the sounds, but you'll  need to do a lot more than drapes to soundproof from a diesel locomotive, and an air horn.

I hope this gives you some ideas on how to better quell the train noises in your home. If you need further help, please do not hesitate to call. Thanks Gigi.

Skip
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 752-3030

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: sales@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

Alan

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 03:53:08 PM »

Just a quick comment on window inserts versus drapes:

The quality of sound suppression is only as good as the weakest seal in the structure.  Sound will bypass and infiltrate the most superior material if even the smallest gap is left open (sort of like a small screen door on a big submarine  :)).  This renders drapery materials very ineffective in true sound suppression unless they are mounted and sealed in some fashion to eliminate all openings, anywhere; not very practical.

I would recommend a windows-grade plexiglass (acrylite) with as large a thickness as your frames will permit, especially if the windows are large.  You can fashion this solution yourself, if you wish, by having panels cut to size and using two-sided magnatic tapes to mount them on the interior of your frames.  Again, make sure the seals are secure as shown at.

http://soundproofing.org/sales/magnetseal_windows.htm

Good luck.