Author Topic: Engineered Hardwood floors above neighbor  (Read 3555 times)

Dylan MacDonald

Engineered Hardwood floors above neighbor
« on: April 24, 2003, 05:18:50 AM »
I would like to install engineered hardwood floors in my condo. I have a neighbor below who is extremely unhappy about this idea. There is wall-to-wall carpeting there now and she is convinced that any type of wood floor I install, even with a sound-deadening pad, will be worse.

I would like to convince her that what I install won't necessarily be soundproof, but it will be equivalent to the carpet + pad that is there now.

So I guess my question is: do I have any basis for believing this? A lot of what I read extolls the virtues of floating floors for these situations. But then I read this board and it seems that hardwood floors (even engineered hardwood floors) = noise.

Can anyone tell me othewise, and, even better, offer advice about the best way to proceed?

Thanks,

Dylan

Boborther

Re: Engineered Hardwood floors above neighbor
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 04:35:13 PM »
Dylan,

See my response to this question, on the soundproofing section of this forum. Thanks again for your post.

Bob Orther

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

Mark Sherwin

Re: Engineered Hardwood floors above neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 04:38:50 AM »
Dylan, as someone plagued by wood floor noise from above, I urge you to please consider this very carefully.  It sounds like you are.  Learn about your building.  If you have a plywood floor and lightweight concrete with no sound abatement in the floor assembly, don't do it.  If you have a well constructed buidling (e.g. thick reinforced concrete) proceed with caution.  Most wood frame buildings are totally inappropriate for wood floors.  Carpet provides what is often the only effective sound attenuation.  Listen to the desperate tone of Rebecca's posting.  Its real.  Good luck.  

anything