Author Topic: channel & screw spacing for resilient channel  (Read 10662 times)

Jim Thorstad

channel & screw spacing for resilient channel
« on: April 28, 2003, 08:48:16 PM »
I've read all I can find and I see that single leg channel is spaced at 24" OC on walls, with 12" OC screw placement. But I find nothing specific for Ceiling application. What spacing should double-leg channel be installed onto ceilings? 24"? 16"? and what screw placement? 12" 8"? This is for 5/8" sheetrock.

Thanks,
jt

Boborther

Re: channel and screw spacing for resilient
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 11:05:15 PM »
JT,

Single legged channel is the same as Resilient channel. The double legged channel the your refer to is called Furring channel, or "hat" channel. The reslient channel is generally a good soundproofer, but the hat channel is not, unless it is used in conjunction with the Sound clips.

The resilient channel is usually installed 16" OC, and with the RC being weight bearing for the ceiling, I would stick to that rule.  The channels (rows) will be spaced from 2 to 4' apart. Try not to screw into the drywall right at it's edge. Remember, that the RC is weight bearing, and drywall can split easily if the screws are too close to the edge.

I hope this helps you out JT.  Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

John Tower

Re: channel & screw spacing for resilient chan
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 04:06:55 AM »
Actually, double leg resilient channel does exist (I am not talking about hat channel, but actual resilient channel). The double leg is better for the ceiling since it offers a bit better stability, especially when installing.

Boborther

Re: channel & screw spacing for re
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 09:07:34 PM »
John,

I didn't know that! I really appreciate the information. If you can elaborate a little more about the double legged RC, I think many of our readers would be very interested. (as would I be).

Though I am a big fan of the sound clips and hat channels, if there is a more cost effective method using the double legged RC, I am all ears.

John, Thanks for clearing that up for me. And I thought I knew everything about soundproofing...NOT!!

Bob Orther

For orders only (888) 942-7723

John Tower

Re: channel & screw spacing for resilient chan
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 03:14:04 AM »
The single leg resilient channel is often referred to as RC-1, while the double leg is RC-2. I am not sure of the technical characteristics of one vs. the other, but I asked a company that sold both and they said there was no real difference in soundproofing ability between RC-1 and RC-2, not sure if that is true or not.

Regardless, just do a search on Google for resilient channel RC-2 and you will see some.

Either way, one thing that seems to make a difference when using resilient channel is if damping (viscoelastic) material is placed on the channel where the drywall will meet it. I am sure this would make a positive impact when using Super Sound Clips also if you put damping material on the Hat Channel before putting on the drywall.

John Tower

Boborther

Re: channel & screw spacing for resilient
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 04:01:50 PM »
John,

You hit the nail right on the head with your comment about the dampening material on the hat channel prior to installing the drywall. It is a cheap and effective dampening method, and helps to change the resonant frequency of the drywall, Homasote or soundboard.

John, thanks for your input, I am sure many of our readers will benefit greatly from your information.

Bob Orther

For orders only (88 942-7723

anything