Author Topic: Loft, bedroom open to downstairs  (Read 3971 times)

Darlene

Loft, bedroom open to downstairs
« on: April 29, 2003, 04:42:41 PM »
I have a loft apartment where the bedroom has a 14ft. across opening to the livingroom below.  The ceiling (I'm guessing 20 - 30 ft high) slope upward right into the bedroom.  I can hear the tv downstairs better then the one in the bedroom and vice versa.  Any ideas on how to fix this??????
thx, Dg

Boborther

Re: Loft, bedroom open to downstairs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 11:07:35 PM »
Darlene,

Maybe a couple of acoustical curtains hung over the opening in the loft would be helpful. These curtains would need to extend at least 1 foot on either side of the opening and should be adhered to the walls with either velcro or double sided tape. You will want to leave the curtain furled so it will soundproof better. For a length as you describe, you will probably need 2 curtains, and a heavy duty 15 year guarantee traverse curtain rod.
Darlene, if you need further information, please give us a call at one of the numbers below.  Interesting post. Thanks Dar.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Boborther

Re: Loft, bedroom open to downstairs
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 11:21:42 PM »
Darlene,

OOOOps, I missed the part about the 20 to 30 foot height of the opening. The acoustical drapes only go from 9 to 10 feet in length. They would still help, but it is better if you are able to cover the entire opening.
You could hang sheets of the mass loaded vinyl from the ceiling, but they are only 4 1/2 feet wide so you would need a few sheets and at a 30 foot length, these sheets would be very heavy. The (MLV) weighs 1lb per square foot.
I can't think of any other solutions at the moment, perhaps some of the other readers of this forum have dealt with a simular experience, and could offer a better remedy.

Thanks again for posting here Darlene.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723