Author Topic: Noise from Apartment Above  (Read 3420 times)

Glenn Risso

Noise from Apartment Above
« on: April 29, 2003, 09:02:44 PM »
I live in a 1929 highrise building.  Although there is concrete between the floors, I can still hear the neighbors upstairs. What I primarily hear is walking on non-carpeted hardwood floors, altough occassionaly I also hear voices, etc.  When I bought the apartment, I assumed that no sound would carry through concrete.

I have heard that you can drill holes in the ceiling and blow in a sound insullation, however the ceilings are plaster and I'm afraid they would never look the same afterwards.  Is my only solution to add another layer to the ceiling?

Boborther

Re: Noise from Apartment Above
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 10:59:09 PM »
Glenn,

The only real option is to float a new ceiling, unless of course you can talk the neighbor upstairs to carpet and pad over a layer of the SSP floormat. That is probably not a real option, unless you have a really, really good upstairs neighbor.

The mass loaded vinyl would help, but would not offer much protection from "foot fall" noises. (Impact sounds), plus it would need to go over your nice plaster ceiling.

Glenn, contrary to what many people want to believe, the blown in cellulose, or blown in foams does not work for soundproofing. It is another myth that people have believed for years. Basically, you need mass for soundproofing. This is not a steadfast rule, but a general one. Things like Mass loaded vinyl or lead foil have mass to them and are very good soundproofers. Most masonry products are also good soundproofers, but plaster is generally not a very good soundproofer.

I know this doesn't offer you much hope Glenn, but for the most part, if you need to soundproof from down below, the nice plaster ceiling will need to go. thanks for the interesting post.

Bob Orther

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything