Author Topic: Soundproofing Club house  (Read 5481 times)

Gjordon

Soundproofing Club house
« on: April 30, 2003, 02:18:51 AM »
I was wondering how I could sound proof my club house.I use the club house to dribble a basketball in, to get ready for the basketball season.
The Club house is made of wood(1/2 an inch or so thick), and the floor is concrete.The sound of the ball hitting the concrete can get loud, and it seems even louder at night.
Also,if it matters,the club house is on the ground(not in a tree) and it has its fair share of cracks.
Hope someone can help,thnx in advance.

Boborther

Re: Soundproofing Club House
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 04:19:13 PM »
G. Jordan,

No relation to "Michael Jordan",are you? Just kiddin!

What you are dealing with is refraction or echo off of all the hard surfaces in the clubhouse. The first thing would be to seal up any and all cracks in the walls and ceiling of the Club house. This would be done with a good acoustical caulk. Next thing would be to get sound absorbtion materials up onto the walls and the ceiling. As a general rule of thumb, you will want absorbtion material to cover at least 40% of the exposed surfaces. Pennants, tapastries, murals and the like will help. We carry sound absorbing blocks called "Pyramids", and  "Weggies". These are open cell foam materials that are used for sound conditioning. Things like ordinary egg crate foam will also work to absorb the sound.

G. keep in mind that "open cell" foam does not offer any soundproofing abilities, it is strictly a sound conditioner. In other words, it deadens what we call a "Live" room. A too live room is often a condition that needs to be dealt with in a music studio or a home theater.

If soundproofing is also your goal, there are many methods that can be used to accomplish that also. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Knowledge is power when it comes to soundproofing.

Thanks for the Post.

Bob Orther

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

Gjordon

Re: Soundproofing Club house
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 02:25:35 PM »
Thnx for the reply....
I would say the lower the sound, the better.So I would like to sound proof the club.How would I go about doing this.

Also,is there any products I could get at walmart,k-mart,home depot ETC.(Local stores) to help lower or eliminate the sound.(This way I would not have to order things from the internet,because it usually takes 2 weeks or so).
While I would prefer to totally eliminate the sound,If I could lower it to the point that none of my neighbors could hear,it would work great.

The quicker I can lower or eliminate the sound,the better. Thnx in advance.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 04:58:23 PM »
G. Jordan,

There are some products that can be had from Home Depot and from Lowe's. I am not too sure about K-Mart or Wally World.
Products that can be purchased at HD or Lowes are things like sound board, Homasote, Green Board, Rock wool insulation, mineral wool and cut wool fibers. Also rolled roofing can be had from these places.
However, the serious soundproofing material can only be aquired from a company that specializes in these products. Things like Mass Loaded Vinyl, closed cell foam mat. and lead sheeting. Try to find these items at The local Home Depot or Lowe's.
J, as you know with all things in life, if you are going to do it, do it right. That requires the proper materials. I am not just here to sell you our materials, I am here to let you know the best materials available to soundproof your clubhouse.
You must realize that Soundproofing is a specialized field and there are only a few companies out ther who carry and know about  these products. We are one of those Companies.
 If there is a product that can be had locally, that actually works as a soundproofer, I will be the first to tell you or any of our customers about it. For example, rolled roofing is a good soundproofer, hay bales are also good soundproofers, as are most masonry products, but for serious soundproofing, you kinda need to go to the experts in the field. They are definitely few and far between.
 Lastly, a layer of the mass loaded vinyl on the walls of the club house would dramatically lessen the sound transmission from the club house to the neighbors. This is a 1/8" mass loaded vinyl mat that would staple of glue to your existing drywall, you'd caulk the seams and the perimeter with a good acoustical caulk, and then we'd recommend that you sandwich in the vinyl with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall.  This should make you clubhouse much more soundproof, and should also keep any potential complaints from coming your way.
J. Thanks for your follow up reply, I hope I wasn't too rough on ya. Grins.

Bob Orther
E-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
or orders only (888) 942-7723

G jordon

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 06:23:58 AM »
Bob,Im back.Its been a while.

I should have mentioned that there is no drywall.The clubhouse is built of wood,no other materials.

That being said,what product(s) would you recommend I buy to keep the noise down as much as possible and where can I buy this/these product(s)?

The total area of the clubhouse is 6 feet tall,10 feet long,and 7 feet wide.Hope to hear from you soon,tnx in advance.

Boborther

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 07:56:10 PM »
G Jordan,

The best product for soundproofing the wooden walls would be hands down the Mass Loaded vinyl stapled to the existing wood walls.
As I stated in a previous posting, you will want to seal up any cracks seams or holes in the wooden walls before doing any  soundproofing.
The MLV would staple to your existing walls, you'd caulk the seams and around the perimeter of the vinyl and then I would recommend a layer of 5/8" drywall installed right over top of the (MLV) to sandwich it in and to give you a nice smooth area to paint and finish off.
Lastly, if there is a lot of sound reflection or refraction (echo) in the clubhouse, you will need to apply absorbent materials to at least 40% of the uncovered wall and ceiling areas. Things like egg crate or bedding foams.
G. I sure hope this answers all of your questions.

Bob Orther
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything