Author Topic: Mass Loaded Vinyl with Rebond Carpet Pad  (Read 4436 times)

John Blackthorne

Mass Loaded Vinyl with Rebond Carpet Pad
« on: May 06, 2003, 04:30:13 AM »
I want to dampen impact noise and airborne sound transmission between two upstairs rooms and the rooms underneath.  I want to apply the soundproofing material above the subfloor, under new carpet and pad.

I've seen the products that combine mass loaded vinyl with acoustical foam.  I wouldn't mind using one of these with rebond carpet padding, but the vinyl/foam combo is 3/8" thick; so, use with rebond pad would create a height variance with the rest of my upper floor, where 1/2" rebond carpet pad is used.  Apparently, 1/8" inch rebond carpet pad doesn't exist, and I don't think that using the soundproofing material without carpet padding would be wise.

I'm considering the 1/8" inch mass loaded vinyl without the acoustical foam,  used with 3/8" rebond pad.

Would this be an improvement over simply using 1/2" rebond in the two rooms?

If so, should the vinyl be installed above or beneath the rebond pad?

Boborther

Re: Mass Loaded Vinyl with Rebond Carpet Pad
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 08:57:49 PM »
John,

The flooring without the foam backing can indeed be used instead of the floormat with foam backing. You will simply lose a little of the impact protection that the foam backing offers.
Now the flooring would go directly on the subfloor, the carpet tackless would nail right through the vinyl, then you would put down the rebond pad and lastly stretch the carpet and you would be done.
I have many customers who have been thrilled with the results of this application. It is so much better than doing nothing beneath the carpet and pad.
Please let me know if you need any further information John, and let me know when you are ready to order the vinyl flooring. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723