Author Topic: MLV over low basement ceiling  (Read 4998 times)

Gary Germaine

MLV over low basement ceiling
« on: May 06, 2003, 03:19:59 PM »
I am trying to isolate sound from a basement band practice space with a fairly low cieling. So far, I have caulked and insulated between joists, and installed a layer of 5/8" drywall. I was planning on putting a layer of MLV over the drywall, then install another layer of 5/8" drywall over it. My question is in the installation of the MLV: If I am overlapping the seams of of the MLV, how should I fill it out to provide for a flat surface to install the final drywall? (remember - this is a low ceiling - I do not want to add any more thickness than I have to). Also, what kind of staples, or screws, (or whatever) is best to use to put the MLV on the ceiling? Can someone give me basic MLV hanging instructions?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Boborther

Re: MLV over low basement ceiling
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 09:32:31 PM »
Gary,

When using the MLV without the foam backing, you will butt the seams together and then caulk the butted seams. This gives you a nice flat surface to layer you next layer of 5/8" fire code drywall.
The MLV with the foam back is for beneath carpeting, and would not be used in a wall or ceiling application.
Gary, I hope this has answered your question. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Gary Germaine

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 02:41:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Will the caulked seam block out the same amount of noise as the MLV? In other wrods, is it defeating the purpose of the MLV if you don't get a perfect seam?
How much room for error do I have placing the MLV together? - What is the best method of hanging it on the ceiling? Any suggestions before I start would be great.
Thanks again for your reply.
-G.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 05:57:15 PM »
Gary,

The acoustical caulk is designed to maintain the STC levels of the material seams that are caulked. In other words, the MLV is a 26 STC, it will also be a 26 at the caulked seam. You do however need to get the seams as closely butted together as is humanly possible.

A floated ceiling is definitely the best way to do a soundproof ceiling.

The best way to  float a ceiling is to use the SSP sound clips and furring channels. This method will double the soundproofing over resilient channels (RC-1) . You can read more about the floated ceiling on the website under the SSP sound clip header.

That's the just of it Gary, please give us a call if you need further instructions, or need to order materials. Thanks Gary!

P.S. Gary, keep in mind that the sound clip system will eat up about 3" of ceiling space. The (RC-1) will only eat up about 1 to 1 1/2".  

I hope this answers all of your question.

Bob Orther

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything