Author Topic: Live Classroom  (Read 3839 times)

Frank Lee

Live Classroom
« on: May 09, 2003, 07:50:28 PM »
 :-/
I am in a  new highschool classroom that is renovated from a former swimming pool. Room is 20' x 35'. Floor is concrete with compositiom tile. We need that for class. The ceiling concrete,  9' with 3 concrete beams to 7'8.  
Two walls are glazed brick (from the former pool).

It is very noisey!. Reverberation easily lasts 2 or maybe 3.

I actually know that architects and I know this would not have been as bad if one of the two Gyp Partitions had been skewed a few inches. Only build two months ago. It would have cost nothing.  My owners rep is burned from the final punch-out process and said I should solve it myself.

I want to add something to the ceilings, mayby the walls.   The ceiling could acccomidatre 1 - 5' sq "Clouds"  hung from  the  concrete.   Walls,  I could do fabric covered homosite or ?? -- 6' x 32 and 4 ft x 20 The brand new hung lighting strips preclude dropped ceilings.  What do you sugest?

Love to do it from Home Depot stuff. Could order something exotic if that is better.  

::)    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One more question.  Are there any easy classroom experiments with reverb that I could use to demonstration the improvement?  Go light on advanced test equipment.

Boborther

Re: Live Classroom
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 09:13:09 PM »
Frank,

What you are looking at obviously is to deaden a very live room. This requires adding absorbent material to at least 40% of the walls and ceilings. things like banners, Murals, tapastries, decorative quilts, or even open cell foam blocks will help. Other things that would help would be over stuffed furniture and thick blankets or pillows in the room. (not always easy in a classroom setting).
We carry sound conditioning panels here at Soundproofing.org. They are called Pyramids, and Weggies (funny name). These panels do a great job of sound conditioning, and are used in many professional recording studio's.
Frank, if you need more help please give us a call. Thanks!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Frank Lee

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 07:07:41 PM »
40% percent of wall area  -- I assume this is the offending hard surfaces. I have 700 feet of ceiling.

How about Acoustic Convoluted Foam glued to ceiling?
8  -  4'x8' panels = 256sqft? Do you sell this?

Then I still need to do at least 40% or the bigger briock wall. Strip it ( 1 x 3 @ 16" ... ) and screw homosote and a fabric finish. Say 6ft high. Love to have this all tackable and run a display shelf on top ot that.  
Is this a good echo killer?

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 08:14:35 PM »
Frank,

The convoluted foam will work and is probably easily accessable from a hardware supply house in your town. What we carry are the Weggies, and the Pyramids, which are an open celled material that are used for sound conditioning, such as in studios and sound control rooms. They would be perfect in your application.
 Please give me a call if you need further assistance or you wish to order some of the Pyramids or Weggies. Thanks Frank.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything