Author Topic: Sound-Proofing an Elevator  (Read 5075 times)

Peggy J. Hicks

Sound-Proofing an Elevator
« on: May 10, 2003, 09:41:58 PM »
We have an elevator that cannot be used at night because the wench is located in the attic and the noise and vibrations wake up sleepers on the bedroom level. What can we do to correct this? :-/

Boborther

Re: Sound-Proofing an Elevator
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 11:39:07 PM »
Peggy,

This is a pretty unique problem. If the wench is vibrating and causing the loud noise that is keeping the tenents awake, then you need to isolate the wench from the mounting it is mounted to. This could be done with vibration isolation pads, When it comes to elevators, the loud clunking relays are often times a problem. These relays are generally inside of metal enclosures. These enclosures could be lined either on the inside or the outside or both, with a closed cell foam mat. This foam is FAA approved for flammability, and is very effective at quelling noises such as loud clunking relays.
Lastly Peggy, if you are able to construct and enclosure to go over top of the wench assembly, tyou could line the inside of this enclosure with some of the closed cell foam. It would be adhered to the enclosure with contact cement, and then the enclosure would be installed over top of the wench mechanism.
Peggy, with elevators, there are many soundproofing issues, I have only addressed a few. The lift cables could also be the culpret in the elevator being so noisy.
If this is the case, the entire elevator shaft would need to be treated with soundproofing agents, this would be a monumental undertaking.
If you decide to tackle this project please give me a call and I will do all I can to help. I have the resident Soundproofing Guru right here at my disposal, and he would be happy to help as well, Peggy, thanks for your post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723