Author Topic: hell from above  (Read 3720 times)

Kerry Nicho

hell from above
« on: May 12, 2003, 09:06:45 PM »
I just moved into a brand spanking’ new condo. Everything is great except for one thing. I hear every step my upstairs neighbor takes. I don’t hear talking or tv or music. Just the sound of footsteps and closet doors shutting. To add to the confusion, the building contractor says that my ceiling isn’t even attached to the floor above. (doesn’t impact sound come from the connection?). My gut says I should add another layer of sheetrock? What do you think?

-Kerry

Boborther

Re: hell from above
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 09:29:06 PM »
Kerry,

The best way to combat impact sounds is with a de coupled ceiling. I doubt seriously that your ceiling is de coupled from the floor joists above. It would cost the contractor time and money to do such a thing, and we know how cheap contractors are these days.
To rid your condo of the impact noises, you will need to float your ceiling using either resilient channels or the SSP sound clips. go to this link to read about the sound clips .

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/supersoundclip/supersoundclip.htm

This will give you an idea of what should have been done in the construction of your condo. Thanks for the post Kerry, I am sure many people are in the same boat as you are.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Kerry Nicho

Re: hell from above (Bob, a quick follow up ?)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 09:32:10 PM »
Thanks for the response. I checked out the info about sound clips. They seem to be the best option. So, here's my question. Would they be attached to the existing ceiling then add sheetrock? Or would i have to rip down the existing ceiling first?  

Okay i lied, heres another question: I have hi-hats in my ceiling. Does the noise just come through the hole anyway?

PS:
(I'm assuming that i have to take them out and reinstall them if i float a ceiling. No?)

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 09:53:24 PM »
Kerry,

I am not exactly sure what hi hats are, but if you are referring to recessed lighting cans, then yes they are a breach to your floated ceiling.
The best way to float a ceiling would be to remove the existing drywall ceiling and start from the bare joists. The reason for this is to allow you to utilize the dead air space between the floor joists. You would line this cavity and also line the joists with a closed cell foam mat. I would recommend at least 1/4" thick. This foam would be glued into the cavities using contact cement. Then from there you would float your ceiling using the SSP sound clips and  the metal furring strips (hat channel).
Kerry, please clarify what you mean by "hi hats. "
 It is always best to use track lighting when floating your ceiling, that way there are no breaches in the integrity of the floated ceiling.
Kerry, please give us a call if you have any further questions, or if you need help purchasing the right products. Thanks Kerry.

Bob Orther

Kerry Nicho

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 02:05:40 PM »
Yes, hi-hats are recessed lighting. At least, that's what i think they're called.  So thank you for all your help. You've given me hope.

I love super soundproofing!

Thanks again, Kerry

Boborther

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 05:19:49 PM »
Ah Kerry,

Thanks for enlightening me on the hi hats. When it comes to soundproofing, there is always some degree of hope. I have found that the more knowledge one has about soundproofing, the more money they can save and the more effective their soundproofing effort will be.
See Kerry, you are very good at doing your research and about following up on posted and e-mail advice. Many of the folks out there looking to soundproof will learn a lot just by reading your posts and the answers to your questions. Thanks again for your follow up.

Bob Orther