Author Topic: Hot air pipes  (Read 3321 times)

Helen

Hot air pipes
« on: May 14, 2003, 10:35:47 PM »
I live in the top floor of a big co-op building. Every morning in the winter/fall/spring as the central heating is turned on at 5:30a.m. I wake up from horrific noise. It seems to be coming from two different walls that the hot air pipes pass through. The building is not willing to do anything about it, and I am exhusted from waking up so early everyday. I will appreciate any advice on what I could do and how much it should cost.

Thanks,
Helen.

Boborther

Re: Hot air pipes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 05:25:10 PM »
Helen.

You need to determine whether or not the pipes are indeed the culprit. Many times it is the heat pump vibrating into the walls and ceilings. Now if your intuition was correct and it is the heat ducting, you could in essence soundproof the wall without actually removing your drywall. You would layer over the drywall with a layer of a material called Mass loaded vinyl. (stapled to the drywall with a heavy duty industrial type stapler).
This is a blocking material and would block out much of the loud and sometimes shocking sound of the heat pump as it kicks on early in the morning.
 This MLV would need to be caulked along the seams, and around the perimeter and then we would recommend drywalling over the MLV with a layer of drywall. Now if this is not feasible for you, then keep in mind that this MLV can be painted with a vinyl or a latex paint. I have even had customers wall paper over the vinyl, or layer it with a fabric material to match their decor.
Helen, try to determine if there is vibration in the room when the heat pump kicks on in the morning. This would help me to  come up with a vibration dampening plan for the heat pump itself.
There are other methods that could be employed, but they would involve taking down the drywall to get to the heat ducting.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to call or e-mail me. Thanks for the post Helen.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Helen

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 02:51:12 AM »
Bob,

Thank you for the detailed answer.
There is a vibration in the room when the heat pump kicks on in the morning, and a lot of "bang" noise that I assume is caused by the steam going down the pipes.

How much does the MLV material you've metioned cost per yard?

Thanks,
Helen.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 08:16:24 PM »
Helen,

The MLV costs about $1.75 per square foot. That's actually cheaper than most floor tiles you buy at the tile stores. Shipping is a factor as this material weighs 1Lb per sq foot, but believe me, if it helps you get a good nights sleep it is a cheap investment. Thanks for your follow up posting Helen.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org