Author Topic: Barking dogs  (Read 5968 times)

J. Howard

Barking dogs
« on: May 15, 2003, 11:55:34 PM »
I've searched the archives & not found an answer to this specific question. I've got neighbors both behind & to one side of my house with dogs that spend nights outside, and in the summer especially, this gets to be a problem with the barking. I've talked to the back neighbors, and they said they'd keep the dog in at night, but this has only been partially true. The other dog I can't identify where it's coming from (only barks at night, when I'm sleeping/sleepy). I'm a renter, so I can't do a lot of changes to the house itself. I can't make the fences high enough to block the barking (local ordinances, & one of the dogs is up on a 5' high back porch). My idea was to install some kind of barrier, like a sound deadening blanket/curtain/foam, outside the relevant bedroom windows (2 on the back of the house, 1 on the side). I want to put it a couple of feet out from the windows, in order to allow breezes to come in through the open windows, while still trying to block most of the sound. Is this possible? Ideally, the barrier could be either pushed aside (like curtains) or rolled up (like porch blinds) during the day to let light in. Also, ideally it wouldn't be too expensive, and would be removable when we move. How much overlap should there be around the sides, top & bottom of the windows? That is, if the window is 3' x 4', would a 5 x 6' object (blanket, foam, etc.) be large enough, or would the sound just go around it?

I've considered window plugs, but that blocks the ventilation, which is vital in the warm weather (which also coincides with when the dogs are most often left outside!). We do have a white noise device, but the dogs are loud enough to overcome that. We also often run a fan, but again, the dogs are louder than that. Any advice is most welcome.  

Boborther

Re: Barking dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 10:32:44 PM »
J. Howard,

I am guessing that you are planning on using the MLV mass loaded vinyl as an opaque type curtain. This would help especially if you over lap the seams of the vinyl.
 Also the window plug would be effective at blocking out the dog barking noises, and they are easily removed at so you could just use them at night only and pull them out during the heat of the day.
J. with soundproofing there are always compromises that have to be made, especially if you are in a renting situation and on a strict budget.
Another thing you might consider is a pair of soundproofing headsets. These are not right for everyone, but they do work well at blocking out irritating noises such as dogs barking.
There are other solutions that can be found on the website, or simply by calling me at one of the phone numbers listed below. Thanks for the post J. Howard.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Jacob

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 07:27:11 PM »
HI J HOWARD! ;D

I also have been struggling with barking dogs outside my window.  It drives me crazy.

SO I was wondering if you have found a good solution for this problem.  I live in a basement apt with a half size window.  I would really appreciate it if you could email me at JDrazen@hotmail.com with any advice you may have.  THANKS SO MUCH!!

Regards-
Jacob

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 11:29:07 PM »
Jacob,

If you are living in a basement apartment, you might think about a window plug for your window/s. This is a plug you would make from some of the rolled vinyl nitrile closed cell foam. Say your window was 3' by 3', you would cut the foam 3' 1" X 3' 1" and that way it will fit tightly into the window frame. Now granted, this will block out all the light when the plug is installed, but if the problem is at night and you are losing sleep, then what does it matter?
Jake, if you need more info on the window plugs or any window soundproofing products, please give me a call at one of the numbers listed below. Thanks Jacob.

Bob Orther

DL Cunningham

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 12:00:58 AM »
I used a BB gun. It's quiet and after a short while, all I had to do is raise the window and they stopped.

Rose

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 08:49:57 PM »
A white noise machine playing all night blocks out any sound from outside (or in.)  

Boborther

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 08:30:58 PM »
D.L.

I like the BB gun solution, good call D.L.

Bob Orther