Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Attick fan  (Read 5074 times)

Allison

Attick fan
« on: May 19, 2003, 12:41:03 PM »

Hi,

My daughter's room is right above the attick.  Whenever it gets hot the attick fan comes on and makes a high pitched vibrating noise.  I bought some soundproofing foam and we placed it over the ceiling fan thinking that most of the sound might be coming in through that opening.  But, it only seems to make a slight difference.  Do you have any other suggsetions?

Also, I have heard that double pan replacement windows with low-E and argon can greatly reduce outside noise.  What do you know about this?

Is there anything that can be done to shoo a loud bird that starts singing at 5:00 am?

Thanks,
Allison

Boborther

Re: Attick fan
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 11:01:36 PM »

Allison,

You do have more than your share of soundproofing issues.
I have heard that the Argon gas filled double paned windows are good thermally, but I am not sure how effective they are for blocking sound.
Before you purchase any soundproof window, always ask to see the STC value of the window (Sound transmission coefficient). It should be at least a 39 or higher.
As far as the attic fan, I think your cheapest bet would be to replace the fan with a quieter one. Now there are measures that can be taked to quell the noisy fan if replacement is not an option. One way would be to build an enclosure around the fan itself and then add soundproofing materials to the inside of the enclosure. Even a small barrier soundproofed with the closed cell foam mat between the fan and the daughters room would be helpful. However the enclosure would work best. If the fan is vibrating, that could also be causing you some problems with noise as well. Vibration basically translates into noise. Perhaps the use of vibration pads positioned beneath the attic fan would be helpful.
Lastly, as for the bird at 5AM... I haven't got a clue, other than soundproof windows.
Allison, thanks for your post, I hope my answers help you.

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Super Soundproofing Co. www.soundproofing.org
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
E-mail: bjnash@soundproofing.org
TOLL FREE: (888) 942-7723

Visit us at: www.soundproofing.org