Author Topic: Exterior Air Conditioner  (Read 6645 times)

Doreen

Exterior Air Conditioner
« on: May 20, 2003, 02:33:04 PM »
I finally finished my pond and waterfall, but I have a sound issue I would like to minimize. The yard is small and my AC unit sits across from the pond.  The AC needs air to function. Is there hope to help reduce the noise when the compressor kicks on?  Thank you for any ideas/ solutions.

Regards,

Doreen

Boborther

Re: Exterior Air Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 05:02:08 PM »
Hi Doreen,

I apologize, but your posting must have slipped by me until now.
You can build a small enclosure around the HVAC unit and then soundproof the inside of this enclosure with sound absorbing foam mats, or a Mass loaded Vinyl mat (MLV) for short. You will need to leave plenty of space for adequate ventilation, but this can be done and you will experience excellent results if construction on the enclosure is done properly.
Please consider giving me a call if I can help you with the details of your enclosure. Thanks for your post.

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: supportr@soundproofing.org
Toll Free (888) 942-7723

D Roy

Exterior Air Conditioner
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »
Hello,

I have a similar problem with noise from the HVAC unit.  Our HVAC is located across from the sidedoor of our neighbour, who are lovely people.  We would like to reduce the noise level for them.  The unit is right between 2 two storey houses and the sound reverberates between the walls and is so loud that you cannot hold a coversation over the fence when the fan kicks in.  We are in the process of building a lattice screen idea with the thought of incorporating a sound absorbing material behind the lattice.  We also wondered how tall this screen should be and if it should wrap around the HVAC unit on 3 sides to help cut down on the noise?

Where can one locate these sound absorbing matts or MLV?  Do they carry such things at the local Home Depot?  Is this material weatherproof or will it breakdown when exposed to rain or sunlight?  

Thanks for your help

D. Roy

<B>
Yes, you can reduce the sound with a sound blocking enclosure of sorts, but it must have no gaps.  A lining of  MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) will work well, it could be stapled to the inside of the latticework, but must cover it well.

These soundproofing materials are inductrial products and not available form hardware stores, but we have it: see
http://soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm
While usually used on floors and inside walls, it should work pretty well for your purpose.

While not a outdoor material it is pretty durable and if protected from sunlight will last a long time.

BJ Nash Super Soundproofing CO</B>

peterhc

Re: Exterior Air Conditioner
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:29:32 PM »
Hello,

I have a similar problem with noise from the HVAC unit.  Our HVAC is located across from the sidedoor of our neighbour, who are lovely people.  We would like to reduce the noise level for them.  The unit is right between 2 two storey houses and the sound reverberates between the walls and is so loud that you cannot hold a coversation over the fence when the fan kicks in.  We are in the process of building a lattice screen idea with the thought of incorporating a sound absorbing material behind the lattice.  We also wondered how tall this screen should be and if it should wrap around the HVAC unit on 3 sides to help cut down on the noise?

Where can one locate these sound absorbing matts or MLV?  Do they carry such things at the local Home Depot?  Is this material weatherproof or will it breakdown when exposed to rain or sunlight?  

Thanks for your help

D. Roy

<B>

Yes, you can reduce the sound with a sound blocking enclosure of sorts, but it must have no gaps.  A lining of  MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) will work well, it could be stapled to the inside of the latticework, but must cover it well.

These soundproofing materials are inductrial products and not available form hardware stores, but we have it: see

http://soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

While usually used on floors and inside walls, it should work pretty well for your purpose.

While not a outdoor material it is pretty durable and if protected from sunlight will last a long time.

BJ Nash Super Soundproofing CO</B>

:)

Hi

Been reading this helpful post.  I'm looking for a way to reduce the noise from heat pumps in our units.

I live in a small complex of townhomes and thinking of building a box like structure.

I'm wondering if lattice is sufficient or does it need to be a solid material, like plywood?

What about the openings?  How much room is enough?

Then there is the cost element for a project of this size.

What can you recommend>

PeterHC

Sonoma Square Homeowners Association