Author Topic: Sound Proofing a celing  (Read 3439 times)

Michae Rudd

Sound Proofing a celing
« on: May 11, 2003, 12:12:27 PM »
I have just moved into a ground floor flat, and am having trouble sleeping due the sounds that come from my upstairs neighbours, It is not that they are noisy I am able to hear them when they turn in bed and other more intermit activities. My question is weather there is a sound proofing foam like substance that could be inserted into the celing cavity that would help with this problem. And if not what would be the best course of action
Mike

Boborther

Re: Sound Proofing a celing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 10:10:21 PM »
Mike,

If the problem from above is not impact noise (walking on hardwood floors) Then the solution would be simple.
You would staple a layer of Mass Loaded Vinyl mat to your existing ceiling (provided it is a drywall ceiling and not plaster) You would caulk the seams and around the perimeter with an acoustical caulk (get from Soundproofing.org) and then you would finally layer over the MLV with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, tape mud and paint, and "Presto" you are finished. No more rolling in the hay noises from above.
Mike, if the problem involves impact noise, then you will most likely need to float the ceiling. That would take a lot of typing, so you may want to give me a call. See the numbers below. Thanks for the post Mike!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723