Author Topic: Impact Noise Standard  (Read 4116 times)

David French

Impact Noise Standard
« on: May 23, 2003, 06:00:04 PM »
The homeowner's association in my condominium project is attempting to adopt a standard for impact noise between upper and lower units.  The county building code is the only code that covers this issue.  It defines an FIIC value (Field Impact Insulation Class) for impact noise.  FIIC values range from 0 - 100, with 0 being loud and 100 being quiet.  Licensed sound controll engineers can measure this FIIC value with specialized equipment.

The county permits an FIIC value of 45.  This is very loud and exceeds the comfort level of almost everyone.  Hardwood flooring usually produces a value of 55.  Carpet and padding produces a value of 90.  The association is attempting to define its own FIIC code.  The question is - what is a reasonable value and how can this be justified ?    

Boborther

Re: Impact Noise Standard
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 06:22:24 PM »
David,

In my humble opinion, hardwood floors in the upper units of condominium developments should be outlawed.
Now Dave, before you jump all over me, next time you get the chance to stand in the lower unit of a condo or apartment where the upstairs neighbor has hardwood floors, and can your listen as they walk on that floor in high heels or leather soled shoes, you will understand the concern for the ICC rating to be an 80 or above.
It is not about associations being tyranical, quite the contrary, it about associations actually dealing with the justified complaints of the owners/tenents in the lower units.
Lastly. I find it highly unlikely that a hardwood floor would have an ICC of 55 points. Wood transmits sound upwards of 1200 times more than does ambient air. That tells me that this ICC measurement system is not very accurate at all. (just my opinion mind you).
David, as it says in that country song "That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!! Smiles!!
Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Dave French

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 06:57:33 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I am actually the one living below with hardwood flooring above.  There are two other famlies besides myself making similar complaints to our association.  Because of this, the association has agreed to hire a sound control engineer to test for an FIIC value.  They agree that a minimum FIIC value is necessary,  but they are unsure how to arrive at this.  It would help to know what FIIC values other associations or local communities may have adopted.  Do you have any idea ?   I contacted our city building department and asked them about it.  But, they had no information and could not help.                        

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 10:14:00 PM »
David,

The solution is simple as far as I can see. You have the sound engineer stand in your apartment and then have your wife of walk on the hardwood floor in her highest high heels. I know you are going through pure Hell downstairs due to the hardwood flooring which is installed upstairs.
 David, I usually have people writing me trying to defend their God given right to have a hardwood floor in an upper condo or apartment unit.
We do make money from such situations, but I really wish that there were laws against these hardwood floors on second level shared dwellings.
Once again Dave, That's my story, and you know I am stickin to it.
Thanks for the quick follow up Dave.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything