Author Topic: pool pump noise  (Read 8509 times)

Pat Lockyer

pool pump noise
« on: May 24, 2003, 09:46:50 PM »
 I have a newly installed in-ground pool with the correct size pump that is installed on concrete next to my garage. My friends say it is "quiet!" but it is driving me nuts. It is exposed to full sun, and I am concerned about putting anything over it because of heat build up, but I did find the drawing showing a surround for generators on your web site.

The noise is competing with the waterfall sound, and I would like to reduce it. My neighbor must be able to hear it (I can hear his!). The pump is a Jandy "L" series CL580.
Any suggestions?

Boborther

Re: pool pump noise
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 11:05:37 PM »
Pat,

Sorry for the delay in answering your post, it has been very busy around here. The solution to your problem may be a very simple and inexpensive one. If the pool pump is lag bolted to the concrete slab, I'd recommend that you get 4 of the 3" vibration isolation pads from us, and simply drill a hole in the middle of the pad,(the same diameter as the lag bolt), and simply get larger length lag bolts and bolt the pump back down using the vibration pads much like a washer. This will isolate the vibration of the pump  from getting into the concrete.
Concrete as a general rule is a very good soundproofer, however, if sound is transmitted directly into the slab, it will transmit the sound (and the vibration) quite readily.
So, Pat, what are you waiting for? Go to www.soundproofing.org and get those pads on order. Remember, you are looking for one pad for each mounting point on the pump/motor.  they are called "Vibration isolation pads" Thanks for your post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

anything