Author Topic: Sound barrier for doorway opening?  (Read 10768 times)

Johnny

Sound barrier for doorway opening?
« on: May 26, 2003, 10:39:10 PM »
I have a home theater and am interested in creating a sound barrier for an opening inbetween rooms that is about 7' high and 8' wide. Total soundproof is not required, but I'd like to minimize the sound as much as possible.

How well do the used acoustic curtains you sell work for this purpose? I've been told elsewhere that they wouldn't do that good of a job, especially for the low frequencies.

How about the non-see through vinyl curtains? How well do they work when used alone? What colors do they come in? It states that the width is 48" and the thickness is .1, but what about the length? So for the dimension of my opening, the entire curtain would weight 56 lbs, correct?

Thanks.

Boborther

Re: Sound barrier for doorway opening?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 06:58:53 PM »
Johnny,

The curtains would no doubt work, but they would only be marginally effective in a home theater environment. The best solution would be to put in a solid core door and then soundproof it. Now if this is not doable, then the opaque curtain material would help. You would need the edges to overlap approximately 3 inches on both sides, and yes they would be heavy (1lb per square foot). You would also need to devise a method for suspending the curtains over the doorway. This could be done with brass eyelets in the curtain and "J" hooks screwed into the wall to suspend the curtains from.
I hope this helps you Johnny. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Johnny1

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 12:31:41 AM »
Bob,

I read in another thread about closed-cell foam vs. MLV. How would this material compare to the MLV for my purpose? Your description in the other thread makes it seem better, and it seems like it doesn't weight that much.

Thanks.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 10:53:55 PM »
Johnny,

A lot depends on your application. The closed cell foam would not hang as well as the (MLV) and though it is a lighter material, it does not have the same blocking ability that the vinyl does, however what it lacks in blocking, it makes up for with absorbtion. I suppose if you weighted down the foam a little, it would hang more like a curtain and would work for your purposes. In essence Johnny, you need to decide which material will work best in your application. Both are great soundproofers.  Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther

Gary

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 11:53:25 PM »
I have a similar situation...but "backwards" from Johnny.

I have a loft office that is 10 stairsteps up from a tiled floor hallway, just off a kitchen and family room.  The hallway and tile floor all help to funnel those room sounds (TV, dishwasher, talking, etc.) right up the stairwell into the loft.  There is no door.  Whatever sound barrier I decide on will only be put up when needed and taken down the rest of the time, so rods or hooks are OK and will be easy to reach.

My thinking is to buy your "very heavy buff-colored drapes with the heavy liner...and ruffled, raised surface..." to hang over the entrance to the stairwell, from the hallway side.  They will be long enough to overlap the ceiling and bottom steps, and wide enough to allow folding and overlapping both sides by 4 or 5 inches.  

I am trying to minimize the amount of downstairs noise that gets up to the loft, not the other way around.  Is this the right approach or is their a better way?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Boborther

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2003, 04:07:22 PM »
Gary,

You are on the right track with the Buff ruffled curtains. They are a heavy duty curtain, and should be effective at blocking a lot of the noises you are discribing. Keep in mind however, that with soundproofing, more is always better. The solid core door is the best way to combat unwanted noise coming through an entry way, but if this is not feasible, then the curtain is a great alternative.
Let me know if you are interested in purchasing one of these heavy duty curtains. We have a large selection that are not listed on the website, but are readily available.
Gary, thanks for the posting.

Bob Orther