Author Topic: Soundproofing a common wall in a period house  (Read 4371 times)

Martin Bennett

Soundproofing a common wall in a period house
« on: May 27, 2003, 05:33:59 PM »
Hey,

We just moved into a lovely Edwardian Period House - lovely except for the TV/coughing noise that comes from our nextdoor neighbours.

I would like to soundprrof this whole wall - and maybe put something in the floor where it joins them also.

The problem I have is that the house is kitted with all it's original picture rails and coving and I do not want to ruin them.

I can come out 5mm max without starting to spoil the coving.

Any ideas, this is driving us mad.

Martin Bennett

Re: Soundproofing a common wall in a period house
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 07:03:40 PM »
One more question whilst I'm here...

My wall is a big thick brick wall and I am not sure that the sound is comeing through the wall as opposed to the adjoining floor/ ceiling beams.

How can I determine this and what can I do if it is the floor ceiling that leads my neighbours noise to me?

Thanks,
Martin.

Brendan Kane

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 02:24:59 PM »
I've got the same problem in a 200 year old terraced house.  Unfortunately I don't have a solution... yet.  One thing not to do is create an air gap using plasterboard (sheetrock) and wooden batons.  I did this under advice and it made matters worse.  Previously I only had to listen to my neighbours, now it's like having them in my home.  Curiously, if I put my ear to the wall I can't hear the neighbours as clearly as when I stand back.  Like you, we have a single-brick shared wall with timber joists running from house to house at upper floor level.  If I crack this problem I'll be sure to let you know.javascript:huh()

Martin Bennett

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 12:39:01 PM »
Cheers Brendan,

I'm in the process of trying Rockwool slabs in the ceiling space and under the floor and am also planning to try acoustic seal in the plug socket hole.

I noticed a weird thing the other day that the noise from their lounge is just as audible in my first floor room and like you I get a reduction with my ear to the wall.

I'd be interested in your results.

Boborthor - any ideas?

Martin Bennett

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 08:21:30 AM »
Hi...

2 years on and I still have this problem.

It seems like the sound may be transmitting through the houses chimney ducts which back on to one another... maybe they have some bricks missing, but then I can't see to find out.

Anyone have any ideas on common causes of this noise on old brick semi-detached properties?

Thanks,

Martin.