Author Topic: Snoring and Active Noise Control  (Read 4293 times)

patstl

Snoring and Active Noise Control
« on: May 30, 2003, 03:40:27 AM »
OK - First let me admit.  I'm getting older and my spouse is too.  This is not all bad, but my partner has started snoring and it's making it tough to get some sleep.

I've read about all the active noise cancelling headphones.  These don't seem to work for this type of problem and it's hard to sleep with them on.

I've read some on active noise control for cars and aircraft.  Has anyone seen any info on this for a single room?  Or maybe creating a sound shadow (area of silence) within a room?

Thanks in advance...

patstl

Rose

Re: Snoring and Active Noise Control
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 08:47:09 PM »
Get a white noise machine.  They really work.

Boborther

Re: Snoring and Active Noise Control
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 08:24:04 PM »
Patstl,

Rose is right, the white noise filters do work to a certain degree, but what you are referring to is a noise cancelling filter. From what I have heard, these devices were pioneered in Australia, and New Zealand, and what they do is send out a frequency signal the is equal, but opposite to the noise source, and thusly the noise is cancelled. This is what I have found in my limited research of these devices. I have also been toold that they are very costly. I am sure with time that the costs will come down, but as it stands they are in the $2000 to $4000 range.
Lastly, there is a company called "Quiet flight that is also experimenting with this type of device. You may want to research them on the internet. I hope this helps you in your search for soundproofing solutions. Thanks for your post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723