Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: blocking low frequency window vibration  (Read 4522 times)

Marcia Miller

blocking low frequency window vibration
« on: June 02, 2003, 09:14:55 PM »

Hello,

I need information on how to best block low frequency vibrations coming in a large window into a laboratory where a transmission electron microscope will be housed.  Window is 45 X 136 inches.  Just putting hands against the middle changed the vibrations so we are pretty sure this is the source.  Don't want to cover and probably not need to cover the entire window.  Eastern exposure with sun partially blocked by adjacent building.  

Need to be certain that we make the right choice of materials.  I would be very pleased to receive a reply at the email address below.

Marcia Miller
mamiller@coh.org

Boborther

Re: blocking low frequency window vibration
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 09:36:21 PM »

Marcia,

Your best bet would be a window plug. This would block out the light from the window, but it is easily removed when the electron microscope is not being used.
The window plug is made of a black closed cell vinyl foam that would be 2" thick. The key with the foam mat is that it would not only block/absorb the vibration, it would also absorb and block sound entering in through the window itself.
Marcia, there are other options such as acoustical curtains and the Magnet Seal window insert, but for the vibrations you are experiencing, I feel that the window plug is your best bet. If you have any further questions, please give me a call. Thanks Marcia.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723