Author Topic: Pancake Air Compressor  (Read 7431 times)

Tony

Pancake Air Compressor
« on: June 03, 2003, 01:38:45 PM »
 ???
At our bike shop we have a small pancake compressor.  We built a 2' cubed box around it, with 2" styrofoam lining the inside.

how many air holes, or air intake are we going to need?

i was going to just make a slot hole about 4x3" and attatch a baffle of sorts that would require the air to travel up an over a 'plate' in side it.

But it thought i would ask and see if i'm heading in the right direction, or if that is just going to make my box a 'bass' speaker.

Thanks for any advice.

ps.  our building is an old mostly empty train engine house with 30' ceilings and mostly brick walls.  not much for echo, but it is somewhat cavernous.

thanks again. . .

irie
otny
Tony Diem
velo@deadwoodbicycle.com
http://deadwoodbicycles.com

Boborther

Re: Pancake Air Compressor
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 10:52:22 PM »
Tony,

I am not exactly sure about how many holes you will need to ventilate your pancake compressor, I do however know that the baffle method is a good one as long as the air baffle is treated with a sound absorbing and sound blocking agent. Something like the SSP closed cell foams. The thicker the better. You would line the inside of the box enclosure with this closed cell foam mat instead of the styrofoam. The styrofoam really has very minimal soundproofing qualities, if any. This closed cell foam was designed for applications such as yours. If you need further information, please contact me here at The Super Soundproofing Co.
Also, See the link below for help in constructing your generator enclosure.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

EvanN

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 05:38:02 AM »
Hi Bob,

I live in a condo (upstair) and I have a small 2.5hp (5gallon? tank) compressor placed in the small storage room outside by the balcony.  Now this thing is darn loud even in the day time so I have not been able to use it at all.  I don't want to piss off the neighbor.

Anyhow, I saw your instruction for building the sound box and got very excited.  I was going to build it right the way but I saw the forum so I want to make sure before I invest the $$ into it.  Do you think your box (with your material of course) would be sufficient in term of absorbing enough sound so that I can use the compressor without getting shot by my neighbors?

What do you think?  I'm in Orange County, CA btw.

Thanks,
Evan

EvanN

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 06:13:11 PM »
anything?

EvanN

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 07:47:35 PM »
I'm not feeling any love here... any help?

Boborther

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 09:40:52 PM »
Evan,

Sorry for the delay, it has been very busy around here, and I answer he posts as I am able.
If you constuct the enclosure as described on the website, and line the insides of your enclosure with the closed cell foam mat (the thicker the better) I think you will be very happy with your results. If you need more information, please do not hesitate to call or to post  to this forum. Once again, I apologize for the delay in answering your post.

Bob Orther
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

EvanN

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 01:20:48 AM »
Thanks Bob.  I will try and construct the box first and then figure out how much material I'll need.  Thanks again.

Evan

Boborther

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 10:54:24 PM »
Evan,

Thanks for your patience in this matter. I now have a little more help around here now and should be able to answer letters  in a  more timely manner.
I think once you have the enclosure constructed, and get it soundproofed with the foam mat, you will be one happy camper.

I wish you the best Evan.

Bob Orther
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040

anything