Author Topic: Soundproofing against TV noise  (Read 8852 times)

David S

Soundproofing against TV noise
« on: June 05, 2003, 02:11:40 AM »
My upstairs and downstairs neighbors have loud TVs. What is the best way to soundproof the ceiling against this type of noise and is there a way to do it without dropping another ceiling? What about solving the same problem for the floors as well? Also, what would be a good type of matting to put under their TVs to help eliminate my problems?

A. Y.

Re: Soundproofing against TV noise
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 12:46:13 AM »
Dave, I "hear" your problem. I too have two neighbors, both upstairs in my case, who watch their TVs with volumes near maximum. I don't know about you, but I don't distinctly hear voices or tunes from their TV shows. Rather, I hear a harsh drone that chirps and buzzes. But whatever you hear, I imagine it is very annoying.

I tried earplugs. While they attenuate street noise and "house noise," the earplugs don't help with the TV noise. They even make the TV noise sound "better" by filtering out the foreground noise.

I regret no one had provided any help for you. Have you done anything to fix your problem or make it better? I could wait for these two old geezers to die, but I might have to wait a while. Besides, I might go first. They're both retired and one of them watches TV all day, literally. Very sad; I can't help if I might do this when I retire.

Anyway, Dave, I'm sorry I couldn't provide you with any help. But I hope to hear from you soon, just the same.

Take care.

A.Y.

bernie c

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 11:38:06 PM »
Have you tried ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution). My neighbor keep their TV on all night long that is impossible to sleep. i took them to mediation.  Some courts offer free mediation services.   It may or may not work depending if your neighbor is cooperative.  Mine didn't work, but I threaten with further legal action.  That will scare them to turn down the volume. You can also do small claims, but make sure you have proof.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 11:41:00 PM »
Hey Bernie and AY,

This is a very common problem especially in New York and Boston where the buildings are old and the floors are generally hardwood and over 100 years old. The TV noise is actually an airborne sound and it is easier to combat than is impact noise. Basically if you roll out a barrier material such as Mass loaded vinyl  onto your floor or stapled to the ceiling or both (if you are getting the sound from upstairs and down stairs) For the floor, you would butt the seams together, caulk them as well as the perimeter, and then tape the seams with a lead tape or a seam tape, at that point I would do wall to wall carpet and rebond padding atop the MLV.
As for the ceiling, once the MLV is stapled or glued to the drywall, you would once again caulk the seams as well as the perimeter and then layer over the MLV with a layer of  5/8' fire code drywall, tape, mud and paint it like a normal drywall installation.
It's that simple gents. Please feel free to call if you have any further questions or issues with sound.

Sincerely,

Skip
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040

Greg Shaw

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 07:07:43 PM »
This website is great.  I have been tormented by my upstairs neighbors and I feel like this is group therapy.  

Anyway, re the last post - how would you soundproof against impact noise.  My upstairs neighbors do not have much carpeting or much furniture so when they stomp around the loud thudding drives me crazy.  I want to get the sound to as close to nothing as possible.   Also approx. how much would it cost me, my apartment is only 700 sq. feet or so.

Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 06:46:35 AM »

I have completely uncooperative, psychotic upstairs neighbors. I know mediation would not work at all.

If I threaten litigation or take them to small claims court, what kind of "proof" would I need. The super and doormen know I've been tortured by them for months now. Is that all the proof I need?

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 05:31:26 PM »
Best to find out your options at the www.nonoise.org website!
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

rob 2

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 08:10:33 AM »
Get a pair of Noise Canceling Headphones real soon.
Ebay has many less than  $40.
They really do work.
I had  a screaming baby on the  the first floor and I could not  hear the baby
while I had the headphones turned on BUT NO MUSIC playing from my walkman.
It was great!!!! I got to sleep like a baby..  pun intended
You will have to build your own bubble if  your neighbors have no respect for
peace and queit.

Suzy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 01:07:59 PM »
Please explain how those noise cancelling earphones work when there is no music playing from them.  Do you just hear perfect silence or like white noise?  Are they comfortable to sleep in?  
Thanks

anything