Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Plexiglass windows vs glass windows  (Read 10045 times)

Sue Ryder

Plexiglass windows vs glass windows
« on: June 06, 2003, 11:15:08 PM »

We have vinyl windows on our patio and are wanting to change them. We have a busy street behind our home and would like to block some of the noise.  We are not sure what type of windows to get.  We have priced both and are more confused than ever.  It is all expensive so we only want to do this once.  We live in a condo on the ground floor and can do either.   Would appreciate some help.  Does MagnetSeal go over existing windows or is it a window.  Thanks,  Sue

Boborther

Re: Plexiglass windows vs glass windows
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 06:27:54 PM »

Sue,

I apologize for the delay in answering your posting, it has been very busy here and our resources for answering posts is limited.
For the patio windows, you want to get a window with an STC rating of at least 40. The higher the rating the better the window id for soundproofing.
Now there are 2 major soundproof windows companies that offer a very good product. One is called Sound guard, and the other is MilGard. You might want want to type one of these company names into your search engine and go to their sites and decide if these windows will work for you. Also, I have been told by my customers, that Pella is now making and affordable soundproof window. I have not verified this, but it would be well worth looking into.
If one of the windows you are describing on your patio is a sliding glass door, you will have to research that on your own Sue, there are not too many soundproofing sliding glass window companies out there.
Lastly, the Magnet Seal window is a window grade plexiglass insert. It is on a magnetic track that clips into  the 'L' brackets that will be installed into your window frame. These inserts offer a 30 STC which is pretty good for an insert. I think you would be happy with the Magnet Seal inserts as they are effective and economical.
Once again I apologize for the delay in answering your post, these products do indeed work and that's why we are so busy. Sue, thanks for your posting, I hope this information is helpful to you.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Bill

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 04:03:34 AM »

Bob,

Do you mean that the Magnet Seal insert has an STC of 30 by itself, or in conjunction with regular dual-pane windows, with an STC of 22-24?  Is it useful against the full range of frequencies, or just certain ones?  We have a local road traffic noise problem.  

Pella has acoustical windows, but the STC is only up to 35 according to the sales rep.  Pella likes to use OITC, and the OITCs were 26-28.  Pella windows are woodclad, so they are available in colors, unlike Milgard which is vinyl only for its Sound Control windows, STC 40 and up.  We are looking for some colors other than vinyl's colors, almond and white.  

How about Peerless acoustical windows?  

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 08:24:31 PM »

Bill,

Yes the Magnet Seal window has anywhere from a 29 to a 30 STC and that does not count what your window already has (the 22 STC) These values are additive, so in essence you would be up around a 45 to 50 STC. There is a law of diminishing returns, but the Magnet Seal windows do a wonderful soundproofing job throughout the entire frequency spectrum.
As far as the Peerless windows, I haven't ever heard of them, you may want to try Anderson and see if they have a soundproof window. Thanks for the post Bill.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723