Author Topic: 3rd Floor for Music  (Read 3722 times)

John Stephenson

3rd Floor for Music
« on: June 07, 2003, 10:25:22 PM »
I'm interested in the sound proofing kit you guys sell.  I have a 3rd floor (unfinished space, about 300 Sq Ft) that I am wanting to sound proof for music practice (drums, guitar, etc...).  I have a neighbor that is 20 ft from the side of my house and window on that side of the 3rd floor.  So, I'm extremely concerned about whether or not I can achieve enough noise reduction using the kit.  

Does the kit address windows, or will I have to do that separately?

My 2 year old daughter's bedroom is directly below this room as well.

I like the idea of floating a stud frame using the metal beams.  I will not, however, be able to float a stud frame on the side of the room with the window, because there is a custom built bench which is about 2 to 2.5 inches from the existing stud frame (room for two layers of sheet rock though).

I'd like to talk with you in detail about any recommendations you might have.  When's a good time to call?

Thanks,
John Stephenson

Boborther

Re: 3rd Floor for Music
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 07:27:34 PM »
John,

We do not have a complete kit for soundproofing a room such as you describe, but we do have all the products you will need to accomplish this soundproofing project.
Windows are usually the weakest link in soundproofing a room, as glass is virtually invisible to sound (sound passes through quite readily). The windows could be soundproofed using either a window plug made will the 2" foam mat or the use of a Magnet Seal window insert. These products are both very effective.
As far as soundproofing the rest of the room, I think it would be beneficial for you to give us a call and we can discuss your options from there. Thanks for the post John.

anything