Author Topic: The Egg Cup fable  (Read 3875 times)

Rhys

The Egg Cup fable
« on: June 11, 2003, 09:28:27 PM »
I dont know how well known or reliable this little fable is which is why im asking.

I am Soundproofing a room, 4 walls and the ceiling, Without any experience in the matter and was wondering if all i am hearing is true.

I have heard that the cardboard sheets that are used by farmers etc. to carry multiple eggs will seriously decrease soundwaves because of there cone like structure.

What i am hoping to do is create fake walls by puting two layers of this coned card sheeting between sheets of Plasterboard and then fix that to the excisting wall with a thin layer of Polystirene sandwished between the false and excisting wall.  Using the same plan for the Ceiling i would like to know if this would work.

The Reason i am sound proofing this room is to allow practise space for my band so it needs to capasitate a live drummer. All the walls are external.

Any input would be apperciated

Thanx
Rhys

Boborther

Re: The Egg Cup fable
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 10:34:04 PM »
Rhys,

I hate to tell you, but you've been told wrong!! The egg cartons would be helpful for sound conditioning in your band room ( to help to deadent the room from echo, refraction and reverberation), but they have absolutely no soundproofing qualities whatsoever. This is also true for the egg crate foam material. (which is simply open cell foam)
Rhys, I am also a musician, and I know you don't have  " Tool or Metallica's" bank account, but for the most part, if you are playing the loud Rock 'N' Roll, with the Marshall Stacks and the Ampeg bass amps and acoustic drums, you need to do some real and serious soundproofing.
On the home page of www.soundproofing.org scroll down till you see the yellow box and then click onto the header marked "Band Practice". Read that link and you will see what you will need to do to keep the neighbors off your case, and to be able to go out into the garage and crank a 2AM.
Give me a call if you need more info, or you want to order some of the serious soundproofing products we carry, and lastly, Rock on Rhys. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723