Author Topic: Reducing noise from highway  (Read 4588 times)

Joe Nathanael Chow

Reducing noise from highway
« on: June 17, 2003, 11:43:27 AM »
Hi,

I just bought an apartment and my unit is on the 10th floor. There is a highway just beside my block and the noise generated is unpleasantly loud. The height of the highway reaches about the 6th floor.

Is it true that the noise becomes louder as it goes higher (ie. The higher floors will experience a louder noise)?

My full height windows are facing the highway. There are planter boxes surrounding the windows. I intend to landscape this part of the planter. Will the plants and shrubs help a lot to absorb the noise?

Is there anything I can do to the ceiling of the planter box to prevent noise from travelling into the apartment? Tendrils? Sound diffusers??

How can I "channel" or "reflect" the noise such that it will not enter the apartment?

The noise level is greatly reduced with the windows shut. However, I would like to have the windows open at times to enjoy the breeze. I figured that noise will never be completely removed if the windows are opened. But how can I reduce it? I cannot imagine switching the TV to high volume each night to combat the noise...

If I get the interior design guy to incorporate sound absorbing materials into the feature walls, will that help too? Carpets?? What is the best way?

Kindly advise.

Regards,
Joe
:-[

Boborther

Re: Reducing noise from highway
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 04:00:10 PM »
Joe,

You have a lot of issues here, and I am trying to visualize an ten story high rise where you can have planter boxes. Plants and shrubs will be marginally effective, but they really have no effect until they have matured, and you get that blanketing effect.
You might consider having a plexiglass wall constructed in front of the planter boxes, the only thing with that is that the plexiglass barrier needs to be at least 8 feet above the noise source to be effective.
Joe, I need a little more detail on your situation in order to give you an accurate assessment of your soundproofing issues. If you can elaborate a little more about the construction and position of the walls as well as the positioning of the windows or sliding glass doors ect.
Thanks for the post, and I look forward to a repost with more information.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

FRS-SD

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 11:10:15 PM »
There are two things that need to be adressed:

1. Sound Isolation.

Other than increasing the background noise with a more subtle sound of some sort (white noise generators use averaging a work best when the sound source is consistent), your not going to be able to stop the noise from the street until you close the windows.

Do you have AC ?  To be honest, if steet noise is that close to you, having the window open may allow alot of pollutants/dust to enter the home.  Perhaps you should leave the windows open in the day while your out to keep the place air'd out, then use the AC in the evenings when your home trying to sleep/watch t.v.

2. Sound Absorbtion.

Drapes, carpet, soft furniture, etc. will help 'absorb' some of the errant sound from the street.  Basically, these items help minimize sound reflections, which if received less than 40ms or so apart at your ear (reverb), can actually amplify the sound your hearing from the street.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 10:40:14 PM »
Joe,
I guess I neglected to completely answer your post. The higher sound travels the more it works and the more it disapates. However, if there are other bulidings such as your, the sound could cascade upwards and there would be a funnel echoing effect. This would cause the sound to seem louder than it really is.
Joe, if you can provide a little more deatail I think we could help you out. Hope this helps.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723