Author Topic: Sound Proofing a wall against a lot of bass music  (Read 9261 times)

Raj

Sound Proofing a wall against a lot of bass music
« on: June 22, 2003, 07:55:40 PM »
What kind of pricing am I looking at to Sound Proof my common wall ( 8'X12' ) against the bass music of my neighbors?

Thanks,

Raj

Boborther

Re: Sound Proofing a wall against a lot of bass mu
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 09:51:48 PM »
Raj,

If you were to soundproof your wall with the Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) you would be covering 96 sq ft of wall which equates to  22 lineal feet off of the roll of the (MLV). The cost would be $172.70  +  $54.99 in shipping. Keep in mind that this material weighs 1 Lb per sq foot. and your package would weigh 99 lbs.
Raj. there are other options for soundproofing your wall, such as the sound clips. or resilient channels (RC-1).  Using these methods would involve more labor than using the (MLV) but both methods would be effective.
Finally, we also carry lead foil which is very effective at combating low frequency bass sounds.
Raj, you might want to give me a call and we can discuss your options further. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Rob

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 08:59:27 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have the same problem as Raj.  I have neighbors who insist on using alot of base in their music, and I work from home quite a bit.  Is there a fashionable solution to soundproofing that side of my condo, which are walls that are adjacent to my stairs up to second floor, and also to the stairs to the basement.  How do I find out about contractors in my area that could install some fashionable soundproofing solutions, if something like that exist?

Thanks,

Rob

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 06:52:32 PM »
Rob,

The MLV stapled to the walls is a very simple operation, Any drywall or general contractor worth his weight in salt can do this work. It is not Rocket Science. (I am told this on a daily basis)
It's a matter of stapling up a layer of the (MLV) to your existing wall, caulking the seams and the perimeter, and then layering over the vinyl with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall.
Rob, you and the wife or a friend could hang the vinyl, caulk the seams and around the perimeter, and have it ready for the drywall guy when he comes to install the drywall. It is a very simple operation,  believe me. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

Kson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 06:56:07 PM »

I have an idea:

What about using MLV on the wall then put cork wall tiles on top of it?   Wouldn't this give it even more sound proofing plus looking good?

Boborther

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 10:38:20 PM »
Kson,

That is a very good idea, and indeed the cork overlay would help with the soundproofing, as well as being aesthetically pleasing.
Kson,  I like when people use their imagination to come up new and innovative ideas for soundproofing.

Sincerely,

Bob Orther
(The Bob Vila of Soundproofing)
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

beth

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 07:12:20 AM »
hi
do you have any suggestions for people who live in an apartment, where they cant do too much "remodeling"?
i can hear my neighbors and its driving me crazy, but because i rent there is only so much i can change about the walls