Author Topic: Noise control coming up a stairway  (Read 3940 times)

Gary Bergy

Noise control coming up a stairway
« on: June 26, 2003, 10:09:57 PM »
I have a loft office that is 10 short stairsteps up from a tiled floor hallway, just off a kitchen and family room.  The hallway and tile floor all help to funnel those room sounds (TV, dishwasher, talking, etc.) right up the stairwell into the loft.  There is no door.  Whatever sound barrier I decide on will only be put up when needed and taken down the rest of the time, so rods or hooks are OK and will be easy to reach.

My thinking is to buy your "very heavy buff-colored drapes with the heavy liner...and ruffled, raised surface..." to hang over the entrance to the stairwell, from the hallway side.  They will be long enough to overlap the ceiling and bottom steps, and wide enough to allow folding and overlapping both sides by 4 or 5 inches.  

I am trying to minimize the amount of downstairs noise that gets up to the loft, not the other way around.  Is this the right approach or is their a better way?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!  

Boborther

Re: Noise control coming up a stairway
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 05:28:07 PM »
Gary,

The curtain will be very helpful, as would laying down  area rugs in that ceramic tiled hallway will help. The tile along with the hard drywall cause the sound to refract and gives the impression of amplification. The curtain will help to block the noise as well as absorbing some of the reflective sounds from downstairs. The runner carpet in the hallway will offer absorbtion and some protection against foot fall noise from people in those areas.
The curtain should also help to muffle out a lot od the TV and Stereo noise from the floor below.
Gary, we have a large selection of curtains, some of which are not yet on the website. Please give me a call for further details on these and other soundproofing ideas. Thanks for the post Gary.
P.S. Gary, the best bet would be a solid core door on the office with perhaps the curtain as some extra soundproofing protection.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything