Author Topic: Sound Proofing Exsistent Walls.    (Read 4327 times)

Todd Yingling

Sound Proofing Exsistent Walls.  
« on: July 03, 2003, 02:26:41 PM »
Hello - I live in a half a house; therefore, there is another couple in the other side of the houes.  I already have the walls painted and all is well, but I want to make this place sound proof.  I hear them, they hear me.  What would be the best product for sound proofing the walls betweent the two living spaces?  Also, what would have to be done?  Would I need to tear down the existing walls and dry wall them again or is there away to lay the barrier over the existing wall and paint over it?  If so, would it look nice?

Thanks for the help

FRS-SD

Re: Sound Proofing Exsistent Walls.  
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 01:16:51 AM »
http://www.soundproofing.org/images/Wall%20soundproofing.gif

Assuming your referring to a standard double leaf wall with 2 by 4 inch studs positioned 16 inches on center and covered with a gypsum wallboard (i.e. drywall) face, you'd probably want to use the technique outlined in the photo above.

The idea here is to acoustically decouple the structure borne sound that's originating on the other side of the wall.

In a nutshell:

-Remove the existing drywall
-Install SSP's Mass Loaded Vinyl or Sound Absorbent Mat (MLV has more mass) in the cavities between the studs
-Install the sound resilient channels (large flange up at right angle to studs) to the studs. I believe the recommendation for these is 24" apart
-Cut your drywall to fit, making sure there's about a 1/4" gap left around the edges of the wall once the drywall is in place
-Rest the drywall on neoprene vibration pads from SSP
-Attach the drywall to the sound resilient channels, always making sure that you attach it to the portion of the channel BETWEEN the studs (attaching to the studs cause a 'sound short')
-Apply a bead of non-hardening resilient caulk around the entire 1/4" gap you left in the previous step
-Apply external finishing/paint

FRS

Boborther

Re: Sound Proofing Exsistent Walls.  
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 10:12:07 PM »
Todd,

I agree with everything FRS has told you, however, if the sounds being transmitted between the party walls are simply voice, telephones, or television noises, you could easily staple up a layer of  MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl)  to your existing drywall, caulk the seams and around the perimeter (with an acoustical caulk), and then sandwich in the MLV with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, tape, mud, and paint as needed, and "presto" you are finished. This is a much simplier approach and will be effective if there are not large amounts of impact noises coming from the unit next door.
Todd, I hope this helps you in your quest for soundproofing solutions.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723