Author Topic: Soundproofing my yard  (Read 3254 times)

Howard Silverman

Soundproofing my yard
« on: July 06, 2003, 11:51:39 PM »
I have some neighbors that can be rather noisy. All that seperates our yards(with dueling pools) is about 30 ft. and an old fence. Our property is set higher and I think that makes it worse but I'm not sure about that. What can I do to buffer the sound as much as possible?
Thanks

judy

Re: Soundproofing my yard
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 03:26:28 AM »
Apart from the obvious--plant tall shrubs or trees, you could build a tall fence in the middle of your yard sort of like an enclosure or barrier.  Since it wouldn't be on the fence line, you could go really high and make it strong and thick.  One thing we do is have a sound machine (like sounds of nature, birds, or surf, etc) and play it outside when there is noise.  Good luck.  Many of us have this kind of problem.

FRS-SD

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 10:50:17 PM »
First off, if your part of a Association, you probably need to check the CCNRs to see what's allowed.

If not, you'll need to build a fence that's high enough to block your view of their yard.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 11:25:12 PM »
Howard,

As a general rule, an out door fence needs to be at least 8' in height to be  effective at blocking the neighbors noise. You will need to have the new 8' fence go all the way to the ground (NO GAPS at bottom). You will then makes sure that there are no gaps in the fence itself, especially if it is a wooden fence. If there are gaps, they will need to be caulked in with an acoustical caulk.
 If you have the money, and can go 8' high with your fence, a masonry fence would be much better than a wooden fence, as wood transmits sound so readily.
Hope this answers your questions. Remember, soundproofing the outdoors from the outdoors is the most difficult of soundproofing projects.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything