Author Topic: Fire Alarm Siren Noise  (Read 10887 times)

Linda Rowe

Fire Alarm Siren Noise
« on: July 10, 2003, 08:55:51 AM »
My apt is less than 600 sq ft.  A new fire alarm system was recently installed with horns and bells in the living room, bedroom, AND bathroom.   Is there any material that could be put over the "speakers"  that would absorb, block, or diminish this incredibly loud siren?  I am not deaf yet, but this alarm system will either make me deaf or kill me from a heart attack when it goes off.

John Smith

Re: Fire Alarm Siren Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 08:57:11 PM »
I wouldn't mess with it since I can't think of a single positive outcome from you trying to quiet your fire alarm, but I can think of plenty of negatives, most of which involve dead people and court cases.Besides, how often is your fire alarm going off?

Linda Rowe

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 03:53:04 AM »
To John Smith
I did not mean to imply I wanted to stop any and all sound.  I would just like to find a way to make it more tolerable.   Three alarms in such a small space is quite a bit.  I'm not so irresponsible that I would want to put any lives in danger -- as you seem to suggest.

My building gets a lot of false alarms - at least once a week.  Probably the reason for the new system.

So do you have any constructive suggestions rather than being on the attack?   I requested this info because I would appreciate some help or suggestions.

Thank you.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 09:06:41 PM »
Linda,

You could adhere some of our closed cell foam mat over the grill of the speaker itself and see if that quells the alarm noise enough to make it tolerable. You might even want to be a little innovative and design some sort of temporary means  to attach this closed cell foam to the overtop  the loud fire alarm speaker.
Perhaps strips of velcro would do the trick, or maybe even double stick tape.  This would give you a temporary means to quiet the loud speaker that could easily be removed, should the need arise.
I would recommend at least 1/2" thick closed cell foam mat. (thicker would be even better) This mat can be purchased from us here at the Super Soundproofing Co.
 I understand the sanity thing Linda, believe me.  Hope this advice is helpful. Thanks for your very provacative and interesting post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Boborther

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 09:16:07 PM »
Linda,

I am not really sure of John's motivation in replying to your post the way he did, but I think he was sincerely concerned about your safety.
He also may be a fire fighter, (who knows?) and quieting an alarm system would make an "alarm" or "Red light" go off in his head.
Guess we never think about the people who read these posts, nor do we claim to the know the motivation for their replies, now do we? Thanks again Linda.

Bob Orther

Linda Rowe

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 06:16:33 AM »
Bob,
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.  My idea was similar to yours in regard to just putting something over the grill to muffle "some" of the sound.   I just didn't know UwhatU or UhowU.  I appreciate the great tips.   I had not heard of closed cell foam until I found your site.   I'm going to try it.
Again, thanks!!
Linda

Boborther

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 11:14:10 PM »
Linda,

I appreciate your posting. I just had a call from a gent who was purchasing a house 30 feet or so from the neighborhood firehouse. Great if you have a house fire, lousy if you are trying to sleep.
Linda, no one knows how you feel when you hear your fire alarm going off once or twice a week for apparent  reason.  People are oft times unaware of the sensativity of some people's hearing. It could be literally painful for them in many cases.
Before I started working here, I too was unaware of people with sensative hearing,  but now that I have been in this business for a while, I see it as an actual epidemic.
I have learned to deal with these situations on an individual basis, and have become sympathatic  to my customers special needs.
 Linda, I hope I have helped you, Thank you once again for your great post.

Bob Orther

nightofjoy

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 12:51:20 AM »
Hi Linda. Did you find a solution? I'm in exactly the same situation. If it goes off in the daytime, I'm awake anyway, and it shreds my nerves to pieces, and at night it I thought there was any danger of it going off, I'd wear earplugs, so wouldn't hear anything at all! If I could make it a little quieter that would be ideal. I have bad nerves and don't want to become e jibbering mess!

Thanks.