Author Topic: Selecting best materials on a budget  (Read 3711 times)

Andrew Raines

Selecting best materials on a budget
« on: July 11, 2003, 04:28:58 PM »
I am currently constructing a home theatre room in the basement of my home. The room is 21' x 17' with 8' walls.
Two of the wal back up against 12" concrete block, and the other to are open to the common basement. The ceiling is a 12" high I-Beam style silent floor joist. The room above this area is carpet over 5/8" carpet pad over 3/4" plywood floor sheathing.
I am considering using 3" thick Mineral Wool glued to the inside of each I beam opening and 3" mineral wool in the walls that are common to the basement. I will be using R-11 "pink" insulation w/ kraft face against the Block walls (for moisture control)
I intended to sheath the entire room with 1/2" plywood and then drywall the entire room over the plywood.
My intention is to try to have as little sound exit the room into the upstairs.
I was intending to use "silicone" adhesive when fastening the plywood to the studs & joists, and also when over-sheathing the plywood with drywall.
Do you see any bad idea's here?
Do you think this will reduced the noise exiting this room significantly?
Do you have an estimate of the approximate STS factors for the walls & ceiling?

Andrew Raines

Re: Selecting best materials on a budget
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 06:29:01 PM »
 have tried to register & login to your forum, but the server keeps telling me that my password is wrong. I have told it that I "forgot password" & it tells me that an E-mail was sent to me, but I never receive any confirming E-mails. Is there a problem with your server?

Boborther

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 09:43:57 PM »
Andrew,

I don't like using plywood for any soundproofing endeavor. Wood carries sound 1200 times faster than ambient air. That's a lot of sound transmission.
Think about using soundboard or Homasote instead of the plywood.
Also, the mineral wool is a good thing, the  R-11 is not.
Adhereing the Homasote or drywall or soundboard with silicone adhesive will work, but if your only motivation is that you feel that drywall screws screwed into the studs or joists would transmit too much sound, you are wrong. Most of our customers use self tapping drywall screws and get great results. The sound does not transmit through the screws.
Andrew, that's my story, and I'm a stickin to it. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Andrew Raines

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 12:53:16 AM »
Thanks for your advice!!
Can you please describe "homasote" and "soundboard"? Are these materials readily avaliable? Are they comparable in price to plywood?

I am planning to use 8#  3" thick mineral wool. Is this excessive??

Boborther

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 10:28:13 PM »
Andrew,

There is never anything excessive as far as soundproofing. More is always better as long as the more is indeed a good soundproofing agent.
The mineral wool is a great idea, and now that you know to stay away from wood, your plans look much better.
 Homasote is a form of soundboard and is usually available at the Home Depot or Lowe's, it is a bit more costly than regular soundboard, but it is much more effective at blocking sound.
Recently I have been getting some negative feedback from my customers who have used the $6 to $7 a sheet soundboard from the HD or Lowe's. In the case of soundboard, you usually get what you pay for.
I believe that both of the products are paper and fiber based wall boards, but the Homasote is better in most applications.
 Lastly, Keep in mind that the Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV)is another way to soundproof walls and ceiling and is very effective in studio and home theater applications.
I sure hope this answers your questions Andy!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723