Author Topic: Soundproofing an outdoor hot tub  (Read 6294 times)

Geoff Bennett

Soundproofing an outdoor hot tub
« on: February 02, 2001, 01:46:46 AM »
Our hot tub sits on a concrete pad in the garden, on top of a rock formation that covers most of our neighbourhood.  The pumps are located inside the unit, which is about 8' square with thin wooden walls.  When the big pumps are turned on the noise is quite loud.
Can I fix this problem by replacing the concrete pad with a thick bed of sand - to isolate the hot tub vibrations from the rock?
Rubber washers on the pump fastening bolts - would these help?
In addition, I presume it would be useful to surround the tub with an acoustic fence of some sort. What do you suggest and how high above the water surface would it have to be?

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing an outdoor hot tub
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2001, 01:22:38 AM »
: Our hot tub sits on a concrete pad in the garden, on top of a rock formation that covers most of our neighbourhood.  The pumps are located inside the unit, which is about 8' square with thin wooden walls.  When the big pumps are turned on the noise is quite loud.
: Can I fix this problem by replacing the concrete pad with a thick bed of sand - to isolate the hot tub vibrations from the rock?
I doubt it.  The rock is probably the best thing for it.

: Rubber washers on the pump fastening bolts - would these help?
Sure, but vibration pad mounting would be better.
: In addition, I presume it would be useful to surround the tub with an acoustic fence of some sort. What do you suggest and how high above the water surface would it have to be?
Such a fence probably wouldn't be too effective due to "flanking sound paths" that would be set up.   Best to relocate the pumps into their own soundproof enclosure.  If that is not practical, soundproof thier compartment in the spa with soundproofing mat, as thick as you can get in there. The entire compartment must be covered and make sure the pipes connecting to the pumps are not radiating sound as well.  If so, cut them and use rubber radiator hose and clamps to break the sound transfer.  

anything