Author Topic: drum room  (Read 5425 times)

Lyle Goodman

drum room
« on: July 14, 2003, 02:29:01 AM »
Hi. My name is Lyle Goodman. I'm a professional musician and want to build a soundproof room. You guys have lots of really good stuff on the website, but I'm still rather confused. I want to put my soundproof room in the garage. The garage doesn't get used for anything except storage. I am intending to turn the whole space (double garage) into a music area, with the soundproof room being like a second room inside the garage ie, you'll go into the garage which will look like a living room, then have to walk across to the soundproof room, like walking to a bedroom or something, open it's door(s), then walk inside it. I will only have one door going into the soundproof room. I have been told that building the walls (from the inside of the sound room out) in this fashion, dense concrete panelling (3 inches thick or so), followed by 6 inches gap, accoustic insulation batts, with more space, then more concrete walls forming the outside walls of the soundroom is the go, and was about to go ahead with these plans, but reading your website has made me think that that is not the best or cheepest way of doing it. I live in Australia too, which may make the availability of several products impossible. I now really have no idea of how to go about building this soundproof room. If you could help me with some info about how to go about doing it remembering that I'm building the room from scratch (inside the "garage"), and don't have to worry about the garage doors etc because they wont be part of the soundproof room, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Lyle Goodman.

Boborther

Re: drum room
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 09:09:06 PM »
Lyle,

If you go back to the home page @ www.soundproofing.org and scroll down to the "Yellow" box and click on the header that says "Band Practice". This is precisely what you will be doing in your garage down under.
Read this scenario and see if you get some useable ideas from that.
Lyle, also keep in mind that the Austrailians are spearheading most of the soundproofing Research and Development going on today Internationally, so as you are searching for soundproofing products and solutions, add the word Australia, it might help you to find similar products to those described on our website. Thanks for the post Lyle and g'day to ya Mate!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Lyle Goodman

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 10:39:22 PM »
Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. Since posting my first question I have found some good people near me in Australia that deal in soundproofing. I was initially turned off seeking advice from similar people because they all pretty much told me not to bother trying to sound proof a room. In their opinion it would be a waste of time and money. Not what I wanted to hear. There are 2 main systems that I've found that sound good and similar to what you have suggested elsewhere on your web site. I am now thinking I will do the outside walls of the sound room in an airated concrete panelling, have an 8-12 inch space, build a frame and fill it with rockwool insulation, on top of the insulation put a layer (or maybe more, next question) of a 6kg vinyl, then on top of the vinyl put 2 or so layers of 13mm concrete plaster board stuff. The plaster board stuff is to be separated by these little bracketts that have rubber pads on them to keep the layers seperate to each other. What's your opinion on this? I'd love to hear it! Also, i read on this site about someone who thought about putting 2 layers of vinyl on the floor I think it was. I had been wondering if 2 layers of vinyl on my sound room would be effective in enhancing the soundproofing of the room. What do you think?  Any ideas? Again, I would really appreciate your help. I also need to know how to roof the room. Could you help me with that also?

Thanks again. Hope to hear from you soon.

Lyle.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 10:28:59 PM »
Lyle,

There is always a way to soundproofing to any room.
So far your plan sounds pretty good, the Rockwool is a good call, as is the vinyl as long as it is a Mass Loaded Vinyl. Basically a material designed to emulate lead sheeting. The MLV usually weighs about 1 pound per square foot.
 I am not too sure what the airated concrete panels are unless you are referring to Hardy Board or Duroc. If you are talking cement board, that is a good call for soundproofing as well.
Lyle, from what I can gather from your post, you are on the right track to soundproofing your room. I wish you all the best.
Lastly, 2 layers is always better than one, with soundproofing more is always better. That's a fact!

G'day Mate!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723