Author Topic: parrot 9cockatoo) noise in condo  (Read 3735 times)

Karen Thonet

parrot 9cockatoo) noise in condo
« on: July 14, 2003, 03:41:40 AM »
Hello,
My husband and are are buying our first condo. We need to soundproof one of the bedrooms where we'll house our two cockatoos (the loudest parrots kept in captivity).

I am going to look up the links that Bob answered with to Kathy. But I have so many questions.

Has anyone had to soundproof for parrots before? Know what the db is for their screams? What is the STC rating for a 2 hr firewall? Can we get away with doing just one wall (that adjoins the neighbors) or must we do the whole room? Its a townhouse so we have the upstairs too.

Any idea what price range this will be in?

Thanks,
Karen

Karen Thonet

Re: parrot noise in condo
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 03:44:38 AM »
c-o-c-k-a-t-o-o are the parrots we have!

Boborther

Re: parrot 9cockatoo) noise in condo
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 09:57:24 PM »
Karen,

I just posted an answer to Ally's question which closely parallells your situation. There are ways to soundproof the cage, or the room itself, or even the common party wall between your unit and the neighbors unit. It is not always necessary to soundproof the entire room, if there is simply one party wall connecting you and your neighbor.
One thing I do suggest is that you communicate with your adjoining neighbors and discuss the bird situation with them, and let them know that you are on the road to soundproofing the room where the parrots are.
Karen, you might also consider draping acoustical curtains around the room, or better yet, around the bird cage itself. These curtains have proven to be very effective in this application.
See the links below for more in depth information on soundproofing the bird room.
Thanks for the post Karen.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723