Author Topic: Noisy Upstairs neighbors  (Read 3876 times)

paul_g

Noisy Upstairs neighbors
« on: July 14, 2003, 07:27:38 PM »
I have these noisy upstairs neighbors with heavy feet and squeaky floors  :-[.  I am willing to do anything within reason to soundproof my room.  Any suggestions on how/where to start??

Boborther

Re: Noisy Upstairs neighbors
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 11:10:24 PM »
Paul,

If you are simply concerned about loud music, TV, or telephone noise, then you could staple a layer of the Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) to your ceiling, caulk the seams and around the perimeter, and then I would recommend that you drywall over the vinyl with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall. Finally you'd tape, mud and paint the drywall as usual, and presto, your soundproofed.
 Now if the problem noises are impact type sounds, such as foot fall or the sound of plates or other heavy objects hitting the hard floor surfaces above, then it is necessary to float the ceiling below. The methods for floating a ceiling (using resilient channels or the SSP sound clips) are explained in detail on the website, please go to these pages and read about these great products.
I hope this has helped you Paul.  Click onto the links below for quicker access.

Go to: http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/supersoundclip/supersoundclip.htm

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Paul G

Re: Noisy Upstairs neighbors
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 12:30:50 AM »
Hi Bob,

Here is what I plan to do, could you tell me if I am on the right track?

Problem: Impact sounds from above from big guy stomping around.

I have thick plaster walls and ceiling. I will rip the plaster on the ceiling down and install super sound clips with channels with 3/4 fire code drywall.

Question 1: Should I use polyester insulation or MLV between the joists?  If it is MLV, do i cut it to fit in between the joists or should it wrap around them covering the entire ceiling?

Question 2:  How will I know if just doing the ceiling will be enough?  If I am sitting at my desk and the guy upstairs is stomping around I can actually feel the vibrations coming up through my chair.  Will the walls and/or floor need to address also?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

anything