Author Topic: Soundproofing a shed?  (Read 2775 times)

Cone Beckham

Soundproofing a shed?
« on: July 29, 2003, 04:30:45 AM »
I've just had a shed put in my back yard, and I intend to use it as a meditation space.....which will be mostly quiet, but I would like to soundproof it for both noise from within and without.  

It has two double paned 3' X 2' windows, and a steel door, and the walls and ceiling are plywood with 2 X 4 framing.   It's 10 ft. X 12 ft.

I was told that insulation batting, R 13, and sone "soundboard", topped with drywall for the inside walls, would do the trick.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!  (What an interesting site!)

Cone

Boborther

Re: Soundproofing a shed?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 10:06:25 PM »
Cone,

The drywall is a good call, as is the soundboard ( would think about using Homasote instead of the cheaper sound board), but if you are serious about soundproofing the shed, you need to look at some of the Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) which you would basically staple to your existing drywall, caulk the seams and around the perimeter with a good acoustical caulk, and finally layer over with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall, and presto, you are finished. This same procedure can be used on the ceiling as well.
Cone, let me know if you need more info, and thanks for the posting. I am sure there are more than a few folks who will read your post with great interest.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything