Author Topic: Padding under carpet for a church?  (Read 4227 times)

Phillip

Padding under carpet for a church?
« on: February 02, 2001, 01:34:43 PM »
I've been asked by my carpet installer if I'd rather have padding installed under the carpet in our new church rather than have the carpet glued straight to the floor.  It is my understanding that if we glue the carpet to the floor that there would be no need for stretching later on, but our carpet installer said that after a recent job that the church had wished they had had the padding installed because of the sound absorbing qualities associated with the padding.  My question:  Should this be a concern of ours, or is this bogus information?

bjnash

Re: Padding under carpet for a church?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2001, 01:40:17 AM »
: I've been asked by my carpet installer if I'd rather have padding installed under the carpet in our new church rather than have the carpet glued straight to the floor.  It is my understanding that if we glue the carpet to the floor that there would be no need for stretching later on, but our carpet installer said that after a recent job that the church had wished they had had the padding installed because of the sound absorbing qualities associated with the padding.  My question:  Should this be a concern of ours, or is this bogus information?

bjnash

Re: Padding under carpet for a church?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2001, 01:46:08 AM »
: I've been asked by my carpet installer if I'd rather have padding installed under the carpet in our new church rather than have the carpet glued straight to the floor.  It is my understanding that if we glue the carpet to the floor that there would be no need for stretching later on, but our carpet installer said that after a recent job that the church had wished they had had the padding installed because of the sound absorbing qualities associated with the padding.  My question:  Should this be a concern of ours, or is this bogus information?
This is good info: sound aborbsion is enhanced by the padding, more than the carpet.  See our myths page, too.  However, the acoustics of your church is not something to be taken lightly: you should have the book about designing with acoustics in mind.  

anything