Author Topic: Reducing impact noise  (Read 4292 times)

Victor

Reducing impact noise
« on: August 02, 2003, 09:39:15 PM »
I recently bought a loft in a converted warehouse building.  The floors and the ceilings are wood, and the wood ceilings extend into the hallway, which is the primary source of "footstep noise" I'm trying to eliminate.

I'm working with the condo association to get the hallways carpeted.  In the meantime, I'm wondering if covering my bedroom walls with some kind of acoustic panels would help at all.  The bedroom area is about 10' x 10' and both the ceiling and the floor are wood, so I'm hoping to at least reduce the echo effect with some sound-absorbent walls.

The wall adjoining the hallway is a "party wall".  I'm looking for a solution that won't cost me thousands of $ (at this point, I'd rather save that money to pay the real estate fees so I can move!)

Boborther

Re: Reducing impact noise
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 07:51:19 PM »
Victor,

The majority of your sound transmission and refraction (echo) comes from all of the hardwood surfaces. Wood transmits sound 1200 times greater than ambient air. The carpeting in the hallways will help to eliminate much of the impact noise, but you will still have to deal with the party wall in the hallway area if you have airborne sound transmission through them.
There are many methods to soundproof these areas that do not cost a fortune, however, I will need to know a little more detail about your situation in order to pin point the problem areas.
Thanks for your post Victor, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Victor

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 10:30:34 PM »
Hi Bob,

What other details do you need?  

The floor is cork over concrete.  I'm told it is a "floating" floor, although I believe what is floating is the cork over the concrete.  

The ceilings are fir wood and extend from the hallway over the party wall and into my unit.  There are support timbers and some metal sprinkler pipes that also extend through the party walls.  

I presently have no furniture or rugs in my bedroom space, save for the bed itself and some cardboard boxes.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Victor

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 10:37:09 PM »
BTW, sound insulation against voice transmission, etc appears to be excellent.  However, I seem to able to hear every little bump and step from the hallway and the apartment above mine.

Boborther

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 07:11:24 PM »
Victor,

If you'll re-read your original post, you'll notice that you did not mention the cork floated floors, and  I am still not clear about the wood construction of your ceilings.
Regardless,  you will need to soundproof the ceiling in the hallway from the foot fall noise coming from the unit above. This can only be done effectively by floating the that ceiling. This method is explained in detail on the website www.soundproofing.org  or you can simply click onto the links below, and they will take you right to the information pages referring to a floated ceiling or wall. I hope this helps you Victor, let me know if you need any further information. Keep in mind, that the more information I have about your situation, the more I can help. Thanks for the post.

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/supersoundclip/supersoundclip.htm

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

anything