Author Topic: Pool Pump noise  (Read 8446 times)

Carl Sonego

Pool Pump noise
« on: August 03, 2003, 02:46:31 PM »
My neighbors' above ground pool pump is located less than 2 feet from the chain link fence that separates the properties and is irritatingly loud. To compound things, the opposite side of our property has a wooden privacy fence which seems to reflect the sound back and around our yard so the only thing we can hear is this pump. The neighbor is not necessarily opposed to a privacy fence going up in place of the chain link. Perhaps they don't realize the primary reason we want the fence is noise reduction because the mass of the pool between the pump and their yard ensures them blissful silence. What can we do to maximize the reduction of noise in our yard, and what other suggestions might you have?

Boborther

Re: Pool Pump noise
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 08:51:46 PM »
Carl,

You are on the right track with the privacy fence, but it might be cheaper and more effective to  let the neighbor know the problem and then simply silence the pool pump using a ventilated type of enclosure box to go over the pool pump itself,  then lining the inside of the box with a sound absorbing closed cell foam mat. If constructed properly, this would offer you some serious soundproofing and at a minimal cost to you. I would spring for the box and the foam and have the neighbor help you with the installation.
If this is not an option, then keep in mind that the privacy fence needs to be at least 8' above the noise source to be at all effective. I would construct the fence of concrete block or other masonry product as opposed to wood, as wood has a tendency to transmit sound readily. If you have to use wood, then make sure that all the gaps in the slats of the fence are caulked with an acoustical caulk, and that the the fence goes down flush with the ground (if you can sink it a little below the ground, that would even  be better). Finally, I would line the back side of the fence with a material called mass loaded vinyl or (MLV) for short.
This is a 1/8" barrier vinyl which would staple or glue to the backside (or either side of the fence for that matter) You could then paint the fence and the MLV with a vinyl or laytex paint.
This method would be much more costly than building the enclosure for the pump, but it will be effective in blocking much of the pump noise coming into your back yard.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call. Thanks Carl. See the link below for ideas on making the enclosure.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 04:36:57 AM »
Go with the box - building a fence is going to be a lot of work with bad results - sound will go up / over & around any fence you build without any problem.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 10:03:14 PM »
Andrew,

Granted, the box would be cheaper and more effective than the fence, however, if the neighbor is not cooperative, you'll  have little choice but to construct a fence.
A fence that is at least eight feet high will be effective in blocking the sounds of the wayward pool pump, especially if the gaps between the slats are sealed well with acoustical caulk, and you use some sort of soundproofing agent on the inside of the fence to help block and absorb the noise. Things such as Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) or the closed cell absorbing foam mat.
Sound waves in essence are a lazy lot, if you work a sound wave (eg. make it climb an 8' high fence) it disapates rapidly and actually turns into heat energy. Basic Physics 101.
Like I said Andrew, the box would be the best and most cost effective means to block out the pool pump noise, but if the neighbor nix's that idea, then the fence your  best option.
That's my story, and I'm stickin to it like glue... or should I say acoustical caulk?

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!