Author Topic: Acoustic tile ceiling vs. floating ceiling  (Read 3529 times)

Jarrod

Acoustic tile ceiling vs. floating ceiling
« on: August 03, 2003, 11:25:51 PM »
I am currently researching several solutions for adding some degree of soundproofing between my apartment and my upstairs neighbor.  I have a small project studio in my living room and I tend to work on things in the wee hours of the night.  

One of my potential solutions is a hanging ceiling of acoustic tiles.  I have an uncle who is in the business of installing acoustic tile ceilings such as you would find in office buildings.  He says that the tiles would be very good for cutting down on reverberation/echo as well as reduce noise transfer.  If i added a layer of rock wool between the existing ceiling and my drop down tile ceiling, im assuming this would lend an even greater degree of sound control.  

My other option is the one i read about on soundproofing.org.  It seems that the floating ceiling with "sound clips" method is by far the most effective.  My only issue with it is the price of the materials involved and the difficulty of installing drywall on a ceiling (ive done it before and its not fun).  

The acoustic tile/rock wool  method would be much easier and cost effective for me since i can get the materials at an extremelly discounted price.  Will this method yeild decent enough results to justify the effort and expense of installing it?  (granted the cost will be roughly 1/3 of what the soundclip/drywall method would be).

Thanks in advanced!

Jarrod

Boborther

Re: Acoustic tile ceiling vs. floating ceiling
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 09:55:42 PM »
Jarrod,

To get the best soundproofing possible in your situation will cost a certain amount of cash no matter how well you construct your ceiling. The most effective materials may cost a little more at first, but they will actually save you time and money in the long run, because you will only have to do the job once.
The best method for soundproofing your ceiling would be to float the ceiling using the SSP sound clips and metal furring channels, or resilient channels alone. Both the ceiling and wall floating methods are described in detail on the website. See the links below:

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/supersoundclip/supersoundclip.htm

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

Thanks for the post Jarrod.

Bob O.

anything