Author Topic: Homasote  (Read 11530 times)

John Hiser

Homasote
« on: August 07, 2003, 12:10:47 AM »
After checking out "homasote 440 soundbarrier" on the web, I was psyched...then I got the price at the supplier, 26 bucks per 4x8' sheet! what are the alternatives? generic soundboard? I was planning on mounting the homasote on resilient bar channel, under a 5/8" sheet of sheetrock, on all walls and ceiling.

Boborther

Re: Homasote
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 08:02:09 PM »
John,

Sometimes you can shop around for a better price on the Homasote, I have seen prices range from $15 for an 8'x4' sheet to $27 per sheet. You just need to look around a little more. Now a great alternative to the Homasote is The Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV). This would be applied between 2 sheets of drywall. Now I am not saying this would be cheaper than the Homasote, but it would provide much more soundproofing than the Homasote would.
The cost of soundproofing is never really cheap. There are easily accessable materials that can be used as soundproofing agents, but if you are serious about your soundproofing, then it pays to buy the best.
John, no matter what you decide to do, don't forget to caulk as much as possible. Caulk, even acoustical caulk is a cheap comidity when you consider it's effectiveness compared to it's price.
I have heard some "not so glowing" reports about the generic soundboard. The $6-$7 a sheet SB. I have had some of my customers complain that it offers very little soundproofing protection. Just my observation from talking with them as well as  my musician friends.
Thanks for the post John, I hope this helps.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

John Hiser

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 01:38:20 AM »
Actually, I was planning to use the MLV all along---homasote, MLV, and then sheetrock, all mounted on your sound clips. If I can't find a decent price on the H, I will do what you suggest, the MLV sheetrock sandwich. I was thinking that a cheap soundboard, inherently different than the sheetrock would be a better match for the sandwich, rather than two slices of the same thing, but sheetrock has much greater mass, so maybe that's more important. I will definitely call you guys, but right now I am in the middle of framing the deck and I can't lay my subfloor (3/4" plywood) until I find the right insulation for the floor joist space. Thanks for all the help.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 06:23:13 PM »
John,

Actually, if you are doing the drywall and soundboard sandwich, the cheaper soundboard will work. The 2 dis similar materials change the resonant frequency of the drywall, which  helps with the soundproofing.
Thanks for the repost, and I'll look forward to your return call.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723