Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: South Africa - Traffic noise  (Read 5544 times)

Claire Shuttleworth

South Africa - Traffic noise
« on: August 08, 2003, 01:18:15 PM »

I have a townhouse on a busy road ... I think I have absolutely standard non glazed windows and was wondering how best to mask the noise..

Does anyone know any option in South Africa

Thanks

Boborther

Re: South Africa - Traffic noise
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 10:06:51 PM »

Claire,

Unfortunately we do not ship to South Africa. Now if the windows are the problem, you could make a window plug with a material called Homasote, and also some MDF. You would glue these 2 dis-similar materials together, and then cut the sandwiched materials so that they fit into your window frame. You will need to place weather stripping around the perimeter of this sandwich so it fits tightly into your window frame. Now granted, this will cut out the light, but if we are talking about a bedroom, then the darkness at night should not be a problem. This should give you some faily good soundproofing
Usually I would have my customers glue a piece of 1/8" mass loaded vinyl (MLV) between the 2 layers of Homasote and MDF, but seeing that you in South Africa, I think it might be quite difficult to get the (MLV).
Claire, click on the link below in this post and see if these folks can ship to you down in South Africa. They're  a U.K. soundproofing company. Ask if they have the 2" closed cell foam to fit in your window. This would also block out the light, but it is more convenient than the MDF Homasote sandwich, and would be more effective. Also ask them about the availability of the MLV.
I hope this helps you Claire, once again, see the link below.

Soundproofing Solutions in the United Kingdom. Thank you for your interest in The Super Soundproofing Co.

http://www.customaudio.freeserve.co.uk/productsfrmset.htm

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Claire

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 07:32:17 AM »

Thanks for you assistance! I will try these options
Claire

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 06:07:01 PM »

Clair,

Thanks for the follow up post. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in all of your soundproofing endeavors in South Africa, and maybe one day we will have a distributorship in Capetown, ya never know!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!