Author Topic: basement practice room  (Read 3762 times)

Kathy Lies

basement practice room
« on: August 12, 2003, 03:09:40 PM »
Our son's band is moving rehearsal to our basement.  We have a room (13' x 15') adjoining the current living space in basement that has concrete floor, concrete block walls and ceiling that has exposed floor joists.  The joists rest on wood sills on top of the concrete block walls.  The three outside walls are underground. The fourth wall adjoins living space, is furred out 2" and has one inch mahogany on living side. The door to living space is a 32" metal door. The family room is above the ceiling.  The flooring in family room is 1/2" plywood then 3/4' particle board then closed cell pad then carpet.  The floor joists are 2 x 10  16OC  there are two HAC ducts running between joists to the family room.  There are also four copper pipes, two with foam insulation going outside to AC units. There is one gas  line from outside passing to another room and a T-off going up to hearth in family room. All ducts and pipes (except T) connect to a furnace in another basement room.  We can tolerate a reasonable noise level in family room directly above but would like to be able to use second floor of the house with minimal noise infiltration. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Boborther

Re: basement practice room
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 10:13:42 PM »
Kathy,

There are many ways to soundproof a basement area for band practice, and I think I have dealt with every scenario possible. What I suggest is that you go to the link below and read the Robbie" story. It is very informative and though it talks about soundproofing a garage area, the principals are the same as a basement area practice room.
Kathy, once you have read this little narrative, if you still have questions, please give me a call and we will get you on the road to soundproofing. Thanks Kathy.

P.S. There is also another link that deals with basements, I hope this gives you an idea of what you're up against, it's not really all that bad or expensive Kathy.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/garage.htm

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/basement.html

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters
!

Boborther

Re: basement practice room
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 10:21:11 PM »
Kathy,

I'd like you to read a success story of one of my customers who did his soundproof practice room and studio using strictly Super Soundproofing material, except for Bass traps from Auralex.Com. Hope it gives you confidence that this stuff really works. Thanks again Kathy.

http://supersoundproofing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bobo2112;action=display;num=1051832873

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!