Author Topic: Soundproofing ceiling?  (Read 3263 times)

Elizabeth

Soundproofing ceiling?
« on: August 13, 2003, 01:25:32 AM »
I rent a first floor apartment and live underneath a very loud, somewhat overweight, person and her two active kids.  The kitchen (tiled, stone-type flooring)  is located directly above my bedroom so when they pull out chairs around the table in the morning- I am immediately jolted awake.  I've talked to this person about this and she tells me that her kids "need to eat breakfast" - and is generally unfriendly and uncooperative.  Is there any way I can soundproof my bedroom ceiling?  I am a renter so I don't wish to spend a lot of money and would also like this to be portable, if possible.  Thank you.

Boborther

Re: Soundproofing ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 06:45:09 PM »
Elizabeth,

What we are dealing with here is called impact noise. It is the chairs banging on the floor and the foot fall noises of the mother and her kids. Impact noise is a difficult and elusive noise to treat because it comes down from above like a lightening bolt.
The only effective method of combating impact noise is to float the ceiling in your apartment. This could be a costly project, especially if you are a renter, however, if your Landlord is aware of the problem, he may help to defray some of the costs and offer installation help, ya never know.
Basically floating a ceiling entails removing your existing ceiling, though this is not always  essential. In essence you are wanting to decouple your ceiling from the floor joists above, and basically the wood floor above.
This is accomplished by using either the SSP sound clips and metal furring channels, or by using resilient channels RC-1. Elizabeth, these are 2 entriely different methods, but they actually do the same job. The sound clips and furring channels will actually double the soundproofing over RC-1 resilient channels, but the RC-1 is a cheaper solution.
Both of these floating methods are explained in detail on the website, or you can click on the links below for this same information.
 I hope this help you a little. There are other methods, but they are not nearly as effective as the floated ceiling. Thanks for your post. If you need further information please feel free to call.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/supersoundclip/supersoundclip.htm

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm